Concrete pour in heavy rain.

zoothorn

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Just sack the prick if he says that to you. Are you under some disillusion that they're the only building team in Wales? I would stop work now and meet up with #1. If you carry on as their pet, instead of their customer, FCUK knows how the rest of the build is going to go, or more importantly what it will do to your health.

As you stated, you haven't paid anything yet so a quick reminder of that wouldn't go amiss here I think. It's quite nauseating to hear how you are being talked to / treated here if I'm honest. You SERIOUSLY need to hit the reset button here and cut off the problem AT SOURCE. That means a meeting with #1 before any more work is carried out on site. If you don't stand up for yourself now then you will be almost at fault for allowing this to become business as normal. Get a handle on this now, as it will grow horns and you'll regret a lot of the decisions made, after paying for them of course.

I wont say exactly what I would do to the (expletive deleted)wits who have caused you such other grief, but the dog shit would have been packed into the holes in a dozen engineering bricks...... one for each window.

The one thing I cannot tolerate from anyone is them being obstinate or just plain rude. Those types soon realise what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object ;)   

Much appreciate this Nick, & understood (& thanks for ideas on the dogmuck- just such support is kind). But I'm fine with being told to fkoff & make the tea/ Im doing it! as its in good humour, he's an ace bloke. I -do- trust them both, they have the best reputation around. I just need to establish this floor position, & then.. I need to discuss possibly shifting the dividing floor to fit with this new mark. That's all.

7 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Just sack the prick if he says that to you. Are you under some disillusion that they're the only building team in Wales? I would stop work now and meet up with #1. If you carry on as their pet, instead of their customer, FCUK knows how the rest of the build is going to go, or more importantly what it will do to your health.

Potentially Wise words from the wizard...... probably saying what some of us are thinking as we flinch reading this thread. I do hope it goes well but the way this contractor operates is something I personally could not cope with. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Much appreciate this Nick, & understood (& thanks for ideas on the dogmuck- just such support is kind). But I'm fine with being told to fkoff & make the tea/ Im doing it! as its in good humour, he's an ace bloke. I -do- trust them both, they have the best reputation around. I just need to establish this floor position, & then.. I need to discuss possibly shifting the dividing floor to fit with this new mark. That's all.

With respect, most of what you have written here does not reflect such a rosey situation. It may be how it's portrayed / worded by you, but there is some writing that's on the wall here I'm afraid.

Next time there is a kettle brewed maybe ask #2 to sit alone with you, away from the crowd, and discuss 'next steps' to your OWN satisfaction. You need to slow the pace between client & contractor here, and ensure you retain a voice. A loud, polite but firm voice. It sounds as if there is more momentum than clarity here. I thought you were going to have a heart attack over your concrete pour!!!!!! That wasn't in ANY humour.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Anyway I just cannot dare suggest anything. Not to this guy. It'll be a sudden square up to me & "LOOK.. I'm doing this you make the fkn tea" its not worth risking him grump & pulling off the job for a week as a slap-in-face to me (as all builders know they have the power to, causing huge stress on customer as they have no idea if/ when he'll be back).

If that really is the case throw him off the job. He sounds like an arrogant fool - you pay his wages - you call the shots. Find a some Polish guys and get them in to blitz it 

I don't want to offend you by saying this, it is not meant as such, but it seems like your possibly not fully aware/understanding of the various stages and building works and then in your naivety stressing out about things that probably require no stress.

I saw a post further up this thread where you were discussing deeper founds to allow for more play and allowing for an inch here or an inch there. I don't think that is the case, I think the guy is just going to build your extension as drawn, he will know where floor levels need to go and will make that happen, yes sure, heights to an extent are dictated by heights of stages of the build that precede the floor, but at the same time a foundation is not a good indication of final floor level as so many things can influence this. 

This thread has grown a bit, disjointed too, could you by reply, please list a summary of your current concerns in simple short sentences. Let me kick this off, if I have understood you correctly, i.e.:

1. Concern that extension floor will not match existing house.

2. Concrete is under 2 inches of water

3. Drainage - please elaborate your base concern here.

With this we can look at the way forward. If the guy is working in your garden then surely you go out and ask a few innocent questions of him?

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

I had a friend round, whose had alot of building work done, who says"'ontop of the founds you'll have your 18" (2x block H) PLUS *sand layer, *insulation layer, *concrete top scree etc.. so he's built it to your level you wanted" IE he thinks its 18" PLUS let's call it 9" of these ***. I say no, these *** go within the 18", the only figure I need to establish floor level is 18" up from founds.

Your friend is talking crap. Floor slab goes between the blocks, not on it, so basically it could be anywhere from 0-18" from now, assuming he doesn't start excavating even further....

Get a can of spray paint and mark on your existing wall with "FLOOR LEVEL"  with a line and an arrow - then there is no ambiguity.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

I -do- trust them both, they have the best reputation around. I just need to establish this floor position, & then.. I need to discuss possibly shifting the dividing floor to fit with this new mark. That's all.

Just ask him if your finished floor level will match your existing house or ask him to set it to whatever height you want. 

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

As you stated, you haven't paid anything yet so a quick reminder of that wouldn't go amiss here I think. It's quite nauseating to hear how you are being talked to / treated here if I'm honest. You SERIOUSLY need to hit the reset button here and cut off the problem AT SOURCE. That means a meeting with #1 before any more work is carried out on site. If you don't stand up for yourself now then you will be almost at fault for allowing this to become business as normal. Get a handle on this now, as it will grow horns and you'll regret a lot of the decisions made, after paying for them of course.

I wont say exactly what I would do to the (expletive deleted)wits who have caused you such other grief, but the dog shit would have been packed into the holes in a dozen engineering bricks...... one for each window.

The one thing I cannot tolerate from anyone is them being obstinate or just plain rude. Those types soon realise what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object ;)   

Would of told him to F off ages ago . Builders hate it when you remind them YOU are the boss .

I was lucky I had a brilliant builder but I did think he got the DPC wrong so I called him to site to explain my concern and he showed me (politely) that he had modified my DPC level and the reason why, he was right. As said above, your the customer, your paying fir it so speak up, they may just show you more respect for challenging them.

I think its sensible to wait until the floor is built/ the slab done. Then I can ask the Q's. I'm not so concerned about the extra D, if, the dividing floor can be adjusted. Absolutely fine. In fact I gain some inches as said.. but what I -don't want is all the excess added to lower room: bc then I have a balcony & fr doors opening out @ approx only head-height from surrounding ground. That will look weird, reduce the view (& Im looking straight into a giveway sign) & just be generally 'wrong'.

Anyway I think a more pressing concern, is the area of exposed ground below the original wall. This of couse is where the extra depth is most pertinent as it were. I don't like seeing it & I think I can see some bits crumbling away.. now THIS is stressful. Anyone know what's likely to be done here?

Edited by zoothorn

I'm sorry but I can't help thinking that this thread some sort of wind up?! 

@zoothorn it seems to me [and please forgive me for being direct but I agree with many others above that the flavour of this thread is somewhat disturbing - ] that you are quite liking this attention and regardless of the sound advice being offered, you are more than happy to just crack on with the worries / concerns.

You need to be mindful that peoples sympathies will soon turn if such advice being offered is being met with continual indefensible comments.

For the sake of everyone trying to assist, please do what @Carrerahillhas suggested and save us for all the dramas because I can't help thinking they are self inflicted and you are not interested in changing anything.

As I said earlier, this build will just lurch from one drama to another and I for one will not be investing anymore of my time in it if you don't seem to be helping yourself.

• Like 2

Sorry redoctober, Ive absolutely no idea what you're referring to, at all.

Its so easy to form the totally incorrect picture, that I have a couple of cowboy builders at work. I do not. They are the best around (you pay extra for their services- its wellknown). I just don'y understand a few things, that's all. Its not a wind up (why would a thread asking simply if huge rain + concreting is ok.. be a wind up? its a question.)

Why couldn't you instead just help me out on the exposed area of ground under the original founds, as I said was my current head-scratch/ concern? why couldn't you help me out on this instead of a grand, very condascending & sniffy lecture at myself red october??

Edited by zoothorn

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

Why couldn't you instead just help me out on the exposed area of ground under the original founds, as I said was my current head-scratch/ concern? why couldn't you help me out on this instead of a grand, very condascending & sniffy lecture at myself red october??

@zoothorn Fair enough, I'll take that on the chin and move on. Good luck with your project.

• Like 2

I don't think its remembered how stressful having a build is tbh, especially a 1st timer/ 1st house.. I had a friend round yesterday whose had a decade+ of it & as calm as you like knows exactly how to deal with builders, how to 'play' them, how not to stress about xyz. I bet he wasn't on his 1st build project tho. Why am I so stressed (therefore asking a chain of Q's/ for answers)-? bc it IS fkn stressful that's why!! I'm not interested in 'limelight' or look at me! attention for fks sake. I'm just genuinely stressed, nothing more.

13 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

I don't think its remembered how stressful having a build is tbh, especially a 1st timer/ 1st house.. I had a friend round yesterday whose had a decade+ of it & as calm as you like knows exactly how to deal with builders, how to 'play' them, how not to stress about xyz. I bet he wasn't on his 1st build project tho. Why am I so stressed (therefore asking a chain of Q's/ for answers)-? bc it IS fkn stressful that's why!! I'm not interested in 'limelight' or look at me! attention for fks sake. I'm just genuinely stressed, nothing more.

It's cos you're special! ?

Edited by Onoff
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

I don't think its remembered how stressful having a build is tbh, especially a 1st timer/ 1st house

I remember only too well and it's a long time after my build. I think to a degree you are going to have to trust your builder. Presumably you have employed him as he comes recommended and knows what he is doing? No one can really advise much without photos TBH as it's just too hard to envisage what's going on from words. Once you see things start to take shape properly I hope that it will feel a lot less stressful and you can enjoy watching things progress. 

5 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Anyway I think a more pressing concern, is the area of exposed ground below the original wall. This of couse is where the extra depth is most pertinent as it were. I don't like seeing it & I think I can see some bits crumbling away.. now THIS is stressful. Anyone know what's likely to be done here?

Right, the answer is do nothing currently. 

When they build the founds up, and backfill the inside with stone and insulation then concrete, it will cover the exposed area. 

This is normal when working on old properties and I’ve seen much much worse ..!! 

Let them get the founds blockwork in, let’s get this floor level sorted, and then you’re flying. 

Thanks @newhome.. if only I had some of your placid calm! I did for a year when I moved here, 1st time ever/ proper newhome calm it was flippin marvellous (& by god I'll get back there again by hook or crook).. but then n'bors collective bullying started etc (& this build ontop of that..) kind of spoilt it but I'll get there again.

I do trust my builder to do a good job; whether I trust him/ them not to have made an error (350mm too deep) & covering it up tho.. I just don't know, or will I ever know? but this is my strong hunch.

It is very unusual in my experience not to see the reference "FFL" on a section drawing as in "finished floor level" and a datum of some sort to reference it to e.g. ground, exterior paving etc. 

In my day job it's all X metres above sea level  for finished slab levels and "SOPs" - setting out points from which to work.

The thing is there's no guessing or dispute when it's all considered, agreed and approved beforehand.

2 hours ago, zoothorn said:

I do trust my builder to do a good job; whether I trust him/ them not to have made an error (350mm too deep) & covering it up tho.. I just don't know, or will I ever know? but this is my strong hunch.

This is a contradiction mate, you either trust him or you don’t?. How can it be too deep if the floor level is what you asked them for? And if it’s not you make him put it right. Frankly your worrying fir the sake of it. (Sorry to be blunt).  You keep telling us he has a good reputation therefore you must trust him. I have fairly recently finished my first build and it was not stressful at all, perhaps it’s just me (others kept telling me it was a stressful thing to do), my builder had a good reputation, I kept up to date on what he was doing and why.

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Right, the answer is do nothing currently. 

When they build the founds up, and backfill the inside with stone and insulation then concrete, it will cover the exposed area. 

This is normal when working on old properties and I’ve seen much much worse ..!! 

Let them get the founds blockwork in, let’s get this floor level sorted, and then you’re flying. 

Nice one PeterW, the voice of reason again. A good plan/ gives me a bit of an idea of what I think they're doing tmrw: today 2nd-in-C blocked (big FO thermalite jobs on their sides + one 9" block inner course line) on the founds. Concrete something tmrw don't knowv what.. but at last, a decent day.

Apparantly on wednesday the Timber Frame Co chap is site visiting so my 2nd-in-C told me. He's liasing with the BCO (whose coming wed too) which he prefers to do/ take the reins here saves me calling & forgetting to get him out at correct points.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

It is very unusual in my experience not to see the reference "FFL" on a section drawing as in "finished floor level" and a datum of some sort to reference it to e.g. ground, exterior paving etc. 

In my day job it's all X metres above sea level  for finished slab levels and "SOPs" - setting out points from which to work.

The thing is there's no guessing or dispute when it's all considered, agreed and approved beforehand.

Understood Onoff. I guess this is one caveat of my doing the plans/ taking the cheap route (hopefully only one significant caveat). I just know my builder was happy to take charge, poss overrule the odd thing, & I have a degree of confidence he'll do me 2 good rooms heightwise (I think maybe the reason the floor's where its at tbh) but look at least its not too shallow! as long as that dividing floor/ ceiling hits the right mark.. that's the critical thing. A balcony + fr doors at head height is distinctly wrong, to me.

3 hours ago, zoothorn said:

I'm also a first time self builder and learning through out this process. I have some bad news for you, it's only going to get more stressful from this point on.

Honestly this thread seems to have made mountains over mole hills, has the concrete set, yes. Did everybody say it would happen, yes.

Generally posts on here tend to be

like this, you ask a question, kindly receive advice and then do the work. We all move on and prehaps it might be useful for future members searching on the forum.

Or just a light discussion/bit of banter.

This thread has been neither and just seems to be evolving into new ridiculous problems.

And what is the flipping deal with your neighbours, builders etc, what are they the mafia? 

3 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

I'm also a first time self builder and learning through out this process. I have some bad news for you, it's only going to get more stressful from this point on.

Honestly this thread seems to have made mountains over mole hills, has the concrete set, yes. Did everybody say it would happen, yes.

Generally posts on here tend to be

like this, you ask a question, kindly receive advice and then do the work. We all move on and prehaps it might be useful for future members searching on the forum.

Or just a light discussion/bit of banter.

This thread has been neither and just seems to be evolving into new ridiculous problems.

And what is the flipping deal with your neighbours, builders etc, what are they the mafia? 

What a charming post. thanks.

Just now, zoothorn said:

What a charming post. thanks.

Prehaps read over the thread from the start and look at the advice/reassurance that members have kindly taken the time to provide to you.

You may note that a few members have been more 'charming' the more this has gone on for.