Concrete pour in heavy rain.

zoothorn

12 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

I would probably reschedule if I could 

I can't/ just wouldn't dare mention it CC or builder will pop. Thought rain was gonna blow over but set in now, but, not too heavy thank god.

Wagon @ 10AM.

Thanks for replies chaps- learnt alot about how concrete works.

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

@zoothorn go shopping. 

Go out, go find something to do and come back at 3pm this afternoon. 

Let them get on with it and it will be fine 

I know I should Peter. But after concrete they're putting in a 'drainage pipe' (100mm black) planA was dig up front garden/ all way along to the stream.. awful ruining my front lawn.. but now only 1/2 as bad going direct 4m to hedge I mentioned to them (Highways drainage channel).. so I have to hang on & oversee planA isn't reverted back to.

Also Ive got my floor level idea now.. which is 9" below what I asked for. In one way good as it gives me more height (hopefully in both rooms), but a huge pain as it now involves steps down/ levelling off land around, &/ or retaining wall or xyz, BCO problems to solve basically: I spent literally 6 months getting this height precisley correct too as its critical, every height of ab&c follows it.

16 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Concrete cures underwater perfectly well.

Indeed, it will cure under water but it needs to be far enough along before a monsoon hits it if it is to survive with no harm. After the initial set water is a good thing in fact.

If the water is being combined into it as it goes into the trench it has the same effect as too much water in the concrete, if the concrete is already in the trench and rain is allowed to lash down on it it will wash the cement out the top layer, leaving a clean pile of sand and aggregate or create a very watery top surface with the cement and water basically making a weak paste. 

Just now, zoothorn said:

I know I should Peter. But after concrete they're putting in a 'drainage pipe' (100mm black) planA was dig up front garden/ all way along to the stream.. awful ruining my front lawn.. but now only 1/2 as bad going direct 4m to hedge I mentioned to them (Highways drainage channel).. so I have to hang on & oversee planA isn't reverted back to.

Also Ive got my floor level idea now.. which is 9" below what I asked for. In one way good as it gives me more height (hopefully in both rooms), but a huge pain as it now involves steps down/ levelling off land around, &/ or retaining wall or xyz, BCO problems to solve basically: I spent literally 6 months getting this height precisley correct too as its critical, every height of ab&c follows it.

Is it raining just now?

You know what, I think you will be fine, you deserve this to go right, it will be fine!

Edited by Carrerahill

5 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Also Ive got my floor level idea now.. which is 9" below what I asked for.

Why? Did you not have a plan, sketch etc to show your builder what you wanted, he is working fir you, if you told him, make him put it right.

3 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

Is it raining just now?

Yes relentless. The fill is about 1/10th (slowly digger bucket by bucket, swung round from the bigFO cement wagon- why not a big PIPE out from it, I don't know). Ive got one eye on the radar forcast 15m by 15m updates, & one on the job

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

Why? Did you not have a plan, sketch etc to show your builder what you wanted, he is working fir you, if you told him, make him put it right.

Yes I did a very careful plan, & head honcho builder was very happy with it. The builder whose doing the groundwork is his 2nd in command (a v. nice chap, I trust, & very good/ poss the best around) who might have either gone 'safe', or taken the critical '350mm step down' measurement from the ground level, instead of from existing internal floor level it seems to me. I mentioned this precise point 1st off day 1, even put a mark on wall for him.

It works 2 ways. Beneficial as gives me more H. But will be more costly to me, esp if it involves retaining walls/ drainage eco pipes, extra steps.. & complicates a previously very carefully thought out streamlined-simple plan.

On 09/10/2019 at 21:26, ProDave said:

This does not add up.  I just do not believe if you phone the police and say "My neighbours builder is tipping soil in a forest" that they are going to turn up knocking on your door.  It is hard enough to get a policeman to attend when a real crime is reported.

And even if they do, you simply inform them your builder has an interest in the forest so no law is being broken.

I rang to say my mother in law had been burgled 

They emailed us a crime number 

for insurance 

On 09/10/2019 at 21:26, ProDave said:

This does not add up.  I just do not believe if you phone the police and say "My neighbours builder is tipping soil in a forest" that they are going to turn up knocking on your door.  It is hard enough to get a policeman to attend when a real crime is reported.

And even if they do, you simply inform them your builder has an interest in the forest so no law is being broken.

Saying that it's amazing the amount of time the police have to waste dealing with what are ostensibly incidents stemming from mental health issues...

2 hours ago, zoothorn said:

The fill (about 1/3rd now) looks like weak rainy soup.. this is really worrying. The trench is being filled approx 2" of rain every hour. Seriously the worst rainy morning in 3 years Ive been here.

How is it going - could you get us a few photos of the pour/concrete int he trench - also, when the builder is not looking ask the driver what he is delivering - Strength/slump.

1 hour ago, Carrerahill said:

How is it going - could you get us a few photos of the pour/concrete int he trench - also, when the builder is not looking ask the driver what he is delivering - Strength/slump.

Finished but I had to go off- so stressed. The ammount of rain was huge/ relentless, & now.. total calm/ light skies. I mean WhyTF couldn't it have been shifted!! its absurd & left me feeling very anxious not only today but for the whole job, & onward.

There seems to have been only 12" poured, with 2" of water alrerady in the trench.. & what looks like 3" or more maybe now just sitting ontop. I am very upset with this.

I can't understand: Why so little? why not piped in (in the digger 2' bucket swung round > emptied??) why is the floor gonna be 9" too low? how on earth can this what only looks like a moat full of brown water be right?

004.JPG

003.JPG

• Like 1

Relax man, concrete will go off under water, chemical action. Why do you think the floor is 9” too low?, they have not built it yet! Just confirm with your builder that it’s level with your existing floor. If not why not?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Saying that it's amazing the amount of time the police have to waste dealing with what are ostensibly incidents stemming from mental health issues...

Some truth to that (yes some is indeed mental frailty, Ive seen it) but, most is sheer rage-jealousy for the audacity of turning my back on her/ their ridiculous, desperate attempts to befriend me.. full of countless snidy remarks & childishness no less (wow! great way to make me wanna be friends). Near all of the trouble I've had is this 1 very dominant & extremely manipulative woman's bullying me (& simple nationalism at me) leading to call after call to xyz depts > visits, aggressive driving at me walking on lanes, aggressive dog set onto my property/ at me, nasty aggressive hand gestures right in my face, 1 clamp tool stolen (minor- but I know she's responsible), & the worst.. the dogmuck incidents.