Concrete pour in heavy rain.

zoothorn

Hi chaps. Got my extention foundations concrete pour expected fri, but looking at the weather its looks dreadful/ a hell of alot of heavy rain all day west wales. Is this of concern? As a client (no input in the build as such) am I in any position to query this chosen day?

Damned annoyingly, it was meant to be poured y'day.. but my sod n'bors complained (for the umpteenth time at me/ only to instigate an official to knock on my door, police, council, env health.. anyone they can think of, mainly just to cause me stress of visit after visit after visit) this time the police knocking on my door: the excavated clay was being dumped in the forest you see & someone complained, tbh perfectly reasonable so to do if spread, & my builder has some jurastiction of the forest. It meant hours of rangling & landowners out & police had to be subdued, my builder furious with whoever called police (I know who as it follows a pattern as said) as it ruined the sheduled pour, & now I'll be furious if this wash-out friday pour instead will be compromised. And my sod n'bors happily grinning away watching. Its quite incredible how much stress 2 people have caused me over 2 years now, just with a phone.

Zoot.

Get it poured and just get the founds covered with a sheet of plastic resting on a couple of piles of blocks in the middle to make a tent over the lot. 

Shouldn’t be more than £20 for the sheet - can always use the DPM for the ground floor. 

Time to start posting photos of the build then !

3 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Hi chaps. Got my extention foundations concrete pour expected fri, but looking at the weather its looks dreadful/ a hell of alot of heavy rain all day west wales. Is this of concern? As a client (no input in the build as such) am I in any position to query this chosen day?

Damned annoyingly, it was meant to be poured y'day.. but my sod n'bors complained (for the umpteenth time at me/ only to instigate an official to knock on my door, police, council, env health.. anyone they can think of, mainly just to cause me stress of visit after visit after visit) this time the police knocking on my door: the excavated clay was being dumped in the forest you see & someone complained, tbh perfectly reasonable so to do if spread, & my builder has some jurastiction of the forest. It meant hours of rangling & landowners out & police had to be subdued, my builder furious with whoever called police (I know who as it follows a pattern as said) as it ruined the sheduled pour, & now I'll be furious if this wash-out friday pour instead will be compromised. And my sod n'bors happily grinning away watching. Its quite incredible how much stress 2 people have caused me over 2 years now, just with a phone.

Zoot.

The rain won’t bother the concrete 

The water will settle on top 

and can easily be pumped out before bricklaying starts 

• Like 1

But should it be me to buy a sheet, erect a 20sqM tent on my own in driving rain & wind-?? they'll surely be a load of water coming off the middle 'island bit' the pour goes around, & in from the top.. I mean this is heavy 50-70mm all day rain: Ive rarely seen such a dire day of rain forcast in 3 years Ive been here. @PeterW

2 minutes ago, nod said:

The rain won’t bother the concrete 

The water will settle on top 

and can easily be pumped out before bricklaying starts 

I reassured by this, but look if 50-70mm hammers down during & after the pour it'll surely mix in.. I mean how could it not.. which therefore has to weaken the mix-?

1 minute ago, zoothorn said:

But should it be me to buy a sheet, erect a 20sqM tent on my own in driving rain & wind-?? they'll surely be a load of water coming off the middle 'island bit' the pour goes around, & in from the top.. I mean this is heavy 50-70mm all day rain: Ive rarely seen such a dire day of rain forcast in 3 years Ive been here. @PeterW

Take a look at any building sites near you They won’t cover anything up 

• Like 1

Just now, nod said:

Take a look at any building sites near you They won’t cover anything up 

The whole plot on ours flooded 

I had to full fill the trenches as the side where falling in due to heavy rain 

Like you we are on Clay 

The whole plot had to be pumped out whilst building the foundation brickwork 

23141C71-2B5F-4EFC-A417-B4CEC5511405.jpeg

They can pour concrete underwater. Unless your mixing it in it should mostly displace it. Await a boffins explanation...

Get a pump, pump trenches out before pouring then leave well alone.

They using a pump to get it round the trenches?

I think far worse crimes are committed when builders have it piss wet to help rake it round

1 minute ago, nod said:

The whole plot on ours flooded 

I had to full fill the trenches as the side where falling in due to heavy rain 

Like you we are on Clay 

The whole plot had to be pumped out whilst building the foundation brickwork 

23141C71-2B5F-4EFC-A417-B4CEC5511405.jpeg

Images like this make you feel so much better when you're done!

2 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

But Id only assume if such a day was forcast for that X site.. then the pour got rescheduled.

No chance 

Concrete isn’t cancelled on site 

It has rained solid here for the last two weeks Next week the same 

Footings are dug and concreted the next day 

1 minute ago, Oz07 said:

They can pour concrete underwater. Unless your mixing it in it should mostly displace it. Await a boffins explanation...

I think far worse crimes are committed when builders have it piss wet to help rake it round

Obviously I'm talking about 2 different pumps here, dirty water and concrete pumps!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oz07 said:

But pumping out water in a trench, is understood (& to be done as there's 3" moat from last few days' showers).. but after which having an empty trench & then pouring on an average day even moderate rainy, is a different scenario to what I'm suggesting will happen friday..

2 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Move it if it puts your mind at rest. Tell the builder its stressing you out and you want to pick a dry day. Cant put a price on sanity

No flamin way.. Id just not consider it, he'll throw a fit after resheduling it once/ the hassle so far. I'll call him tmrw ev.. but all he'll do is 'smooth talk' me & say all normal etc. He told me the groundwork included a skip, &/ or he'd use the soil himself for some fill job.. both of which BS once I saw the dumper trundling off into the forest. He's canny/ experienced.. & I'm not.

50 minutes ago, ProDave said:

To be honest, hearing what you say about this neighbour, I would be moving, not extending.

So they win/ I lose?? that's a feeble copout ProDave. never. this is -exactly- what this wretched bullying me is aimed at doing too no less (& anti-english 50% of it). Its my 1st house. You recall how attatched you were to your 1st house? Ive waited 25 yrs to get a 1st set of keys thanks to damn property prices in england -& Im nearly 50- I love it more than you'll ever know as a result. theyre 70 so, no instead I wait until they die 1st.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Well , lad, yer skin's thickening up nicely, methinks.

Sod ' em. Just do it.

Ian

My skin's thick enough now I was MEH when the police were at my door, not an iota of concern as I'm so used to xyz authorities knocking "we've had a complaint" BS (they're forced to visit, once any complaint is made.. so.. n'bors know this, & as I'm not allowed to know who made complaint, they just call/ call/ call, any chance of some NEW opportunity -like dumper- & within minutes they're onto police hamming it up. You just have to live with it, week by week, & not let it stress you. Hard.

This does not add up.  I just do not believe if you phone the police and say "My neighbours builder is tipping soil in a forest" that they are going to turn up knocking on your door.  It is hard enough to get a policeman to attend when a real crime is reported.

And even if they do, you simply inform them your builder has an interest in the forest so no law is being broken.