Got broken in to last night ....

Sorry to hear about this Ian. Just been to Valencia for a few days and had my phone stolen so I know how inconvenient and damn bloody annoying these people are. The village post office had the cash box taken three weeks ago, somebody just walked in the back door and took it in broad daylight so me thinks it is somebody who knows the place or delivers to the post office. The house opposite was broken into and the lady owner had a lot of sentimental jewellery taken so before this the most crime we had was a garden shed being broken into! The chap building next to us leaves all his tools, Bosch chop saw etc in the garage and in front of a window and has got away with it so far!

On 09/10/2019 at 16:31, AnonymousBosch said:

The CSI came round pronto - said it could have been much much worse. Police came round, said it could have been much worse. PCSO  came round and said it could have been much worse.

Impressed by the response. Elderly neighbours were robbed by distraction thieves, one came up the front and kept them talking, the other went around the back. CSI took 2 days to come. Mind these rural coppers are busy...

0_Hot-fuzz.thumb.jpg.998bcfbfa92324b3d24e297f13c58345.jpg

On a slightly lighter note, my parents in law told me that the guys that burgled them last year were caught. They admitted to 40+ burglaries and have been sentenced to several years' jail.

Interestingly, both of the burglars have had property seized and sold. The result is a not insubstantial payout to my in-laws. I was quite surprised by this - I assume it's something to do with the proceeds of crime legislation, but I didn't realise that money was distributed to victims.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jack said:

On a slightly lighter note, my parents in law told me that the guys that burgled them last year were caught. They admitted to 40+ burglaries and have been sentenced to several years' jail.

Interestingly, both of the burglars have had property seized and sold. The result is a not insubstantial payout to my in-laws. I was quite surprised by this - I assume it's something to do with the proceeds of crime legislation, but I didn't realise that money was distributed to victims.

Doesn't make up for the stress and heartache of knowing your home has been invaded, but it's very good news to hear that they have received money that's come directly from those found guilty. 

I wonder how often this happens?  If it's a fairly common thing, then it really deserves a bit more publicity.  People seem only too willing to be critical of the police, so a bit of good news relating to the hard work they do should be made more public, IMHO.

• Like 1

I think I told this story back when it happened...

A few years ago I was doing a few bits inside the house early one evening, must have been just before first fix was complete as it was getting dark out.

Anyway, someone knocked on one of the windows and I assumed it was a friend who had called to the caravan at the rear, so I went up to the front door to see who it was. No sign so I went as far as the gate and a car tore off up the road. Outside the house (we're at the end of a cul de sac) was lots of emptied jewellery boxes, costume jewellery etc. Obviously these guys had just burgled someone and grabbed what they could and were sorting it out in what they thought was a quiet spot. No idea why they thought of knocking on our house but maybe they were chancing their arm that there may be a few tools to take while they were passing.

Anyway, I called local police and was amazed when a car of CDs and offices appeared literally minutes later - turns out the guys had also nicked an Audi from the burglary and it had a tracker so the police were already on their tail. They were nabbed about 10 mins after the police arrived at ours and all the stuff was collected up off the street. Bizarrely I was recorded as a 'victim'  so was kept in the loop - usual story, they both had records as long as your arm and were not long out of prison. Both pleaded guilty and got banged up again for another few years. No doubt rinse & repeat on their release.