Got broken in to last night ....

My fault, I should have reversed the digger up to the container doors.

The CSI came round pronto - said it could have been much much worse. Police came round, said it could have been much worse. PCSO  came round and said it could have been much worse. Son (a local detective) said it could have been much worse.  Thats Ok then, I feel much better now.

Properly insured - but my last run in with a Loss Adjuster makes me absoultely determined to get the details bang on right. 

So thats me office-bound for the next few days, compiling a list of what I have and have not got left.

I know, I know, I should get a proper problem and stop fussing about details. Its only tools.

Advice given:

• Get a Screamer inside the house
  • Get some PIR lights
  • Dont challenge them, ring 999 and say "Burglary in progress."

Hey Ho! Cant take a joke? Don't use power tools. 

• Sad 13

2 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

My fault, I should have reversed the digger up to the container doors.

No it is not your fault.  It is the fault of the scroats that do this sort of thing.  We should not have to live in a society where we have to baracade ourselves in like we are in Fort Nox.

Lets hope the insurance do the decent thing and stump up for your losses.

• Like 4

Oh bugger, sorry to hear that. I got broken into years ago and the insurance company replaced everything without question but I found obscure stuff missing months after that I did not realise was missing at the time (and too late to claim) so make a long list.

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

No it is not your fault.  It is the fault of the scroats that do this sort of thing.  We should not have to live in a society where we have to baracade ourselves in like we are in Fort Nox.

Lets hope the insurance do the decent thing and stump up for your losses.

Circled by Diesel wagons no doubt ?

• Haha 1

Sorry to hear that mate, I think you are privileged the old bill turned up,I have heard of areas where they just give you a crime number over the phone. 

They all need their fingers cutting of with a pair of secateurs, then give them no benefits and let them starve to death on the streets. 

Utter scum. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Sorry to hear that mate, I think you are privileged the old bill turned up[...]

Yes, I am privileged in many ways. How many do we know who'd give their  eye teeth to be able to self-build? 

I have to remind myself - often - that the thing is to get the bloody house done...... not to worry about the odd f@ck up , or an irritating delivery driver, or a set of scrotes  who decide to nick some of my gear.

3 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

240v attached to the container would have stung a bit ???

Bloke in Bristol tried that many years ago, burglar fell and hurt himself and successfully sued the house owner, who also got done by the police fir creating a “man trap” which is illegal. (Bloody good idea tho !).

Very disheartening as always to hear this sort of thing, when living in Australia it was a constant job trying to hide / secure all our work equipment on semi remote sites.... worked most of the time but still had half a dozen incidences. Another fairly major reason why I choose to live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by water..... best of luck with the claim.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cpd said:

Very disheartening as always to hear this sort of thing, when living in Australia it was a constant job trying to hide / secure all our work equipment on semi remote sites.... worked most of the time but still had half a dozen incidences. Another fairly major reason why I choose to live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by water..... best of luck with the claim.   

When I was there most tradesmen left kit in back of utes. Wouldn't think nothing of leaving kit in back while going into shops. I had a mate from South Africa who said it's a burglars paradise in Australia. Much less low level criminality. May change now ice and drugs getting a foothold?

2 hours ago, Oz07 said:

When I was there most tradesmen left kit in back of utes.

Yup still do but with more security boxes or big nasty dogs in with the kit. Still the probability of being robbed is very low compared to if you parked a ute full of tools in any built up area in this country and went to the coffee shop. As always mostly a problem in built up areas, our operations attracted  attention as we were using expensive kit and leaving it stashed on site for months at a time so word would get round and eventually some scumbag would venture into the forest looking for plunder. We became very good at concealing our equipment. 

I think I related the story of early on in the build, the builders were late on site one morning.  Three of their van's were broken into over night and all the power tools gone.  I was under strict instructions not to touch any of their vans until the police came to our site that morning to fingerprint them all.

This sort of thing is rare up here, the police thought it was a gang from "down south" who worked their way down the A9 over night targeting vans in all the towns and villages on the way.

When I lived in shropshire doing up a derelict cottage, I was away for the weekend and went straight to work on the Monday morning only to get a phone call from the police saying my site had been broken into and they think they had recovered my tools. It transpired the police were already on the drug gangs radar, and it was because some of my small tools were ex BT who I worked for previously, they traced me through BT and I got all my tools back. Years later in Bristol I was approached by a “tinker” in a car park of a DIY store who offered me power tools cheap, I refused, went into the store and spoke to the manager who called the police. The chap was arrested as all the tools were nicked and so was his van!!! It felt good to know the scrote was nicked.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear that Ian 

Regardless of what security measures you should have could have taken

Your not exactly on the beaten track Living directly next to your build in a very nice rural setting 

I would guess a very low crime area  

It just shows how vulnerable all self builders are

Get your claim in Ian and try and put it behind you

Gary