Windows....which company did you choose and why?

Tom's Barn

52 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

Here’s a rookie question, been reading through this thread and it has made me wonder why you all seem to be stuck on these foreign made windows, what do they have or offer that you cannot get from a British manufacturer? Our windows came as part of our kit (VEKA) and they are doing the job just fine so if I was to build again what would I be looking for that I dont have with my current windows? This is a genuine question by the way as I definitely want to get everything well researched before I attempt another!

for us the country of origin wasn't a consideration despite us wanting to reduce our carbon footprint in general (we've chosen a local timber frame company for that reason). we wanted good quality windows at a decent price. simple as that.

@craig is there not an industry standard fitting guide a bit like the one BWF produces for stairs. It's very generic but covers most essentials. 

I'm sure most carpenters would be capable of fitting these Windows if they knew the exact specifications/details. Always seems to be a lottery with window fitters whereas if the customer has a chippie they trust I'm sure they could manage. Neck I even think @Russell griffiths even fitted his own And he's a rough arse tree surgeon. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

is there not an industry standard fitting guide a bit like the one BWF produces for stairs. It's very generic but covers most essentials. 

Yes, each manufacturer will have one and guideline supplied by GGF for example. They will vary slightly but generally they are the same. Not being fitted to factories recommendations, will void warranties.

Issue Nick experienced was something else entirely.

Edited by craig

Wasn't specifically talking about that case, just in general. I've never really met a window fitter who takes pride in their work. Seems to be a rough trade then you get the firms expert come to fix up or adjust any issues. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

Here’s a rookie question, been reading through this thread and it has made me wonder why you all seem to be stuck on these foreign made windows, what do they have or offer that you cannot get from a British manufacturer? Our windows came as part of our kit (VEKA) and they are doing the job just fine so if I was to build again what would I be looking for that I dont have with my current windows? This is a genuine question by the way as I definitely want to get everything well researched before I attempt another!

You've posed quite a good question. 

I don't really have an answer. I havent placed an order as of yet but pretty much finalised hopefully with Zyle fenster (Lithuania). 

Being foreign for me didn't matter.  Inwas originally only planning 2g  due to budget but 3g has came within my budget going to Zyle.  

One notable point I had was that internorm/Gaulhoffer and zyle seemed to be easily take on my 4.6m slider in 2 sections. Rational, Allan bros,  Russell timber, Norman just couldn't. I had to compromise. 

I also wasn't after timber frame aluclad I woukd have been happy with pvcu  but it seems to work out. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

Nope,  we'd no desire for anything other than 2g UPVC. Nothing about the look of fancier stuff did anything for us, I certainly didn't want any timber that might need maintenance, and even thermally I couldn't justify the extra cost within our tight-ish budget.

• Like 1

Likewise used a UPVC profile with a slimmer 3G unit (4/12/4/12/4) as was also interested in sound proofing. Only concession to “Euro style” is installing tilt and turn so they open inward. Did consider Aluclad but lead times and matching the multiple RAL finishes puts me off. 

• Like 1

I've recently put an order in with Nordvest windows who don't seem to come up much on this forum. I found their approach to specifying and detailing the window order to be helpful and reassuring, plus they gave input into preferred design of the windows compared to our original standard all 'side hung' request. We've thus ended up with a mixture of top hung fully reversible, tilt and turn, side hung etc. depending on the room and its use. They were also one of only two suppliers where we didn't need to compromise on the window designs and door sizes.

My impression is that Nordvest provide a lot of design flexibility in their products.

They are all timber only 3g windows with whole window U-values around the 1 mark so not your ultra high performance Passivhaus 3g units but that would have been overkill for our purposes and it saved us a good amount of money compared to the 0.7-0.9 U-value type units.

Colour wise, we've chosen a lighter grey RAL 7040 which matches the steel coated roof.

I went to most of the usual suspects including Green Building Store, Norrsken, Nordan, Rationel, etc. plus some local companies and outliers like Spar Windows and Jeld-wen.

I've ordered them on a supply only basis. Interestingly for me those companies that did provide installation quotes only included the labour, typically four men x a few days, but with many of our units over 100kg, one over 200kg and being fitted on the first floor together with a large steep earth banking in front of the house, there was no way they could do it without additional machinery, which was of course was not mentioned.

I've been given a delivery date of week commencing 7th December so will be able to update soon, I hope ?

• Like 1

On 17/10/2020 at 15:28, Oz07 said:

What is the timber being used? What will be future maintenance requirements?

The windows I've ordered are the typical slow grown northern European pine. Given that the company are based in north west Norway, I'm hoping it's locally grown and sourced, if not in Norway, then at least over the border in Sweden! It's treated and laminated. They also have an aluminium bottom glazing bead. Future maintenance requirements basically ask for an annual check-up, some cleaning and with any visible issues sorted with paint touch-up - they provide a touch-up paint with the order. Longevity is a good question, but with this kind of maintenance, they should outlast Upvc, and provide a better whole of life cost than aluminium. In theory anyway. ?

Edited by SimonD
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

@GaryM, looks great! 

Installed by IdealCombi's official installers or DIY?

Idealcombi official installers.

The install seemed pricy for two days work £4000+ vat + crane but it seems to be the going rate. They have to come back to do trims and cloaks, which they may try to charge more for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GaryM said:

£4000+ vat + crane

How many men? How many units?

Being conservative with figures, I’m assuming  4 men x 2 days £2,400 labour at £300 per man per day. 

If I’m reading you right, you’re saying that’s just labour? If right and 4 men, that’s £500 a day each at £62.50 an hour.

The Crane was extra and they charged VAT?

That’s an insane price, even if it included travel and accommodation you should be looking at circa £3k.

Edited by craig

40 minutes ago, craig said:

That’s an insane price, even if it included travel and accommodation you should be looking at circa £3k.

Are you sitting down? I received quotes of between £4000 and £7800 plus VAT labour only to install my windows. Up to 4 man team x 4 days. I know they wouldn't have done it without a crane and even then they'd have struggled around the back of the house. I had to build my own scaffold hoist contraption as no other lifting equipment I could get hold of would fit in the area.

I did it all myself with some friends in the end.

20210124_084820822_iOS.jpg

IMG_4209.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craig said:

How many men? How many units?

Being conservative with figures, I’m assuming  4 men x 2 days £2,400 labour at £300 per man per day. 

If I’m reading you right, you’re saying that’s just labour? If right and 4 men, that’s £500 a day each at £62.50 an hour.

The Crane was extra and they charged VAT?

It's worst than that, it was 3 guys, the youngest was very new to it and just held things:-).

We also had to pay £850 for flinch plates and now they are saying I have pay extra for the full and clocking trims to be made and installed.

Crane was 1640 +vat

I like the windows and doors but I will contest the extra costs

Edited by GaryM

1 hour ago, SimonD said:

Are you sitting down? I received quotes of between £4000 and £7800 plus VAT labour

Doesn’t surprise me, I price installs daily. Costs vary for numerous reasons.

1 hour ago, GaryM said:
2 hours ago, craig said:

It's worst than that, it was 3 guys, the youngest was very new to it and just held things:-).

That’s just nuts, £666 per man per day. Sorry but they’ve ripped you off.

11 hours ago, craig said:

That’s just nuts, £666 per man per day. Sorry but they’ve ripped you off.

And now to supply and and install cills and trims they want another £2500 !!

3 years a go I had Origin bifolds gable end and large picture windows supplied, 22m2 of double glazing the total cost to supply and install was £8500, I had 9 upvc windows supplied and installed £3200.

So Idealcombi wants £10500 for the install. Just working out my strategy, there is no way I'm going to pay £2500

On 10/03/2021 at 09:20, craig said:

Did the install costs include compriband, airtightness tape? As they aren't cheap, dependant on meterage you'd be looking at somewhere between £600/£1200 on approx. 

I'm not sure what they are, I will take a look at the quote