Building warrant before tender process?

SuperJohnG

Hi, 

I have a quote from two different architects. 

Who have both included a stage for building warrant application prior to the stage of going out to tender with the package to select a kit supplier. 

How can you get a building warrant without knowing what the construction etc is? for example if I had a design but hadn't decided if I was going TF or SIPS?

49 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

Hi, 

I have a quote from two different architects. 

Who have both included a stage for building warrant application prior to the stage of going out to tender with the package to select a kit supplier. 

How can you get a building warrant without knowing what the construction etc is? for example if I had a design but hadn't decided if I was going TF or SIPS?

That's the whole point of design stage - you need to bottom it all out first. Your builder isn't going to choose which way he wants to build it, you will tell him - also, without a construction type how can they tender like for like? One might be a brickie and one might be a joiner, so you know one will be traditional and one will go TF.

Edited by Carrerahill

44 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

you can,t they will expect to see  plans to get a building warrant

I am guessing it is an extension -not a complete house

otherwise it would be planning application  -not a building warrant

Well it would be both for both types of build - only no planning if under PD.

• Like 1

slightly different in scotland , as you will know 

you cannot even fit a velux or alter internal walls without a building warrant --and the plan for that can be the back of a fag packet, unless the BC man then wants SE design .

I made an ensuite in my master bedroom by converting fitted wardrobe and taking some space of the room--the velux fitted between rafters -so no alterations to anything structural

got found out when i went for new valuation on  the house, needed to use it as a sercurity on my petrol supply agreement

thats the thing if you don,t do that they want paying when the taker drops it load --£50k+ a pop

by doing that i got 12 days credit ,which could be 4 loads,and by the time credit card company had paid me  and -most fuel sales are that way --so you could by 200k in the hole all the time  --

the sercurity searchs  showed up  the house not same as plan they had when it was built --a new hole in roof .

so after some talking  with councilit was sorted by me sending them a new plan and paying for a "letter of comfort"--. £50

51 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

you can,t they will expect to see  plans to get a building warrant

I am guessing it is an extension -not a complete house

otherwise it would be planning application  -not a building warrant

It is a new build house. Planning in place for an existing house already, but I will be putting a new planning application in to change this.

But regardless. 

Planning application only needs outline plans, shape size, finish etc to get 'planning permission' which is fine, this can be done from outline drawings regardless of the final method of construction. 

The building warrant AFAIK, deals with the structure and compliance with building regulations, hence you would need to know the method of construction prior to applying (I'm assumignto show the BCO the cross-sectional build up of the walls). But if you go out to tender to say a SIPS supplier and a TF supplier these are different methods of construction (albeit similar) so one of the other would maybe not be able to provide a quotation as the building warrant would not reflect their particular offering.

8 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

That's the whole point of design stage - you need to bottom it all out first. Your builder isn't going to choose which way he wants to build it, you will tell him - also, without a construction type how can they tender like for like? One might be a brickie and one might be a joiner, so you know one will be traditional and one will go TF.

It would be bottomed out at the design stage as above but theoretically you have to choose then if you are going SIPS or TF. For info - no builder, TF/SIPS supplier to supply and erect kit which I have chosen. then I'll deal with the rest.