are there drains on my plot?

Amateur bob

how can they quote to a building that is not there and not even a plan of it drawn on your map,or where you want the meter to be either on the new house or to a meter house 

they can only quote to a termination in a building or a meter house--also cable will be twice as long going to your X --so until they know exactly they cannot spec a cable or anything else

on my plan 

4   is where it will enter house  

3 from that point on it must be ducted under any hard standing  to point 4

Edited by scottishjohn

Are you sure you’re reading the quote correctly? When we got ours there were two figures, both for the same work but the lower quote was for us doing all the contestable work, both outcomes were the same as in it would entail the same type of connection but it would be more expensive to get them to do all the work.

3 hours ago, dpmiller said:

what is where the rectangle shows? Existing shed?

as they're running a mahoosive 3-ph cable to that point...

the brown rectangles/squares are existing sheds, the grey rectangle is nothing theyve just randomly drawn it halfway to the plot, mabye its a meter they plan to put in? ive emailed back asking this, no reply yet

3 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

Are you sure you’re reading the quote correctly? When we got ours there were two figures, both for the same work but the lower quote was for us doing all the contestable work, both outcomes were the same as in it would entail the same type of connection but it would be more expensive to get them to do all the work.

the quote is based on them connecting and laying the cable but me digging the trench, seems high

3 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

how can they quote to a building that is not there and not even a plan of it drawn on your map,or where you want the meter to be either on the new house or to a meter house 

they can only quote to a termination in a building or a meter house--also cable will be twice as long going to your X --so until they know exactly they cannot spec a cable or anything else

on my plan 

4   is where it will enter house  

3 from that point on it must be ducted under any hard standing  to point 4

the map i sent them had a drawing of where i wanted them to run the cable to but for some reason theyve stopped midway i can only presume theyve made a mistake and think the grey rectangle is where my plot will be, ive asked them about a proper quote they said wait until you have planning as the quote only stands for X amount of days

• 9 months later...
On 16/10/2019 at 13:15, joe90 said:

Sorry I meant pressure and flow at the trough, if it’s good enough you could extend it to the site.

Ive had a diagram from Scottish water of the nearest mains to connect to its 600m from site and needs to cross a side road OR a field ditch, we have a private water connection available at farm which is 130m away im trying to decide best option, a cost per m for running the water pipe across fields would be handy if anyone could help me?

Running the pipe across YOUR fields is just the cost of dig a trench and bury a pipe. you would want something quite large over that distance.  I doubt Scottish Water would want to do that bit.  If the field ditch is yours I would cross that yourself as well rather than paying to cross a road.  do you have a JCB or digger on the farm, or even a back hoe for a tractor?

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Running the pipe across YOUR fields is just the cost of dig a trench and bury a pipe. you would want something quite large over that distance.  I doubt Scottish Water would want to do that bit.  If the field ditch is yours I would cross that yourself as well rather than paying to cross a road.  do you have a JCB or digger on the farm, or even a back hoe for a tractor?

Ive a guy with a 360 digger that does our drainage who could do it ipay him about £35/hr, i wasnt sure what sort of cost the pipe would be per m though as its a fair distance and could add up?

32mm MDPE is about £1m from Pipestock for a 150mm reel. You need to be able to dig down to min 850mm if it’s farmland or you could use a drag mole if you can get a friendly farmer. 

Edited to add ... drag mole, mole plough, pipe mole, subsoiler.. all the same thing to me !!

Thanks for the reply thats much more affordable than i thought then as was worried it would be £5-10/m, so the way to do it would be a trench 850mm deep across the field, lay the pipe and get the water company to connect to the mains for me? Any thoughts on the idea of connecting in at the farm to the private supply?

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Does the farm have its own meters..? If so, lay a pipe to within 1m and get a “new” connection from the main to the end of your supply on a new meter. 

yes but its another couple hundred metres away from the farm and the pipe up to farm from there crosses a neighbours field, would scottish water lay their own pipe rather than the £1/m pipe you suggested and charge me more? thanks