kill grass and weeds permanently

26 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

Don't worry it'll be winter again tomorrow and for the next few days.

6 degrees and wintery showers forecast tomorrow.  And the cold weather is heading south.

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

6 degrees and wintery showers forecast tomorrow.  And the cold weather is heading south.

Here is forecast at 9C tomorrow then 12-14 for a few days,

It's  compensation for being 60 miles from the nearest beach.

The local road cycling club even have a 300km route called "Everybody Rides to Skeggie".

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-115/

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Could do with a cool spell right now. 

Just come in from sawing very, very hard oak sleepers and screwing them together with 150mm stainless timberloks, to make a couple of raised beds.  Managed to finish one of them, but the combination of the heat, and the embuggerance of trying to work with rock hard oak has almost finished me off.  Found the torque limit of my cheapo Makita clone brushless impact driver though.

The local sawmill let me have the sleepers at a discount, and delivered them the same day, as they'd had them sat in their yard for a few years, and they were a bit grubby.  What I should have realised is that oak gets very hard as it seasons, and these seems to have reached peak hardness.  Even pre-drilling the holes I was twisting up timberloks like corkscrews. After trying a few lubricants, it turns out that the best was silicone grease.  No idea why, as I don't think of silicone grease as a particularly good lubricant normally.  Still, the technique is honed now, so with luck, making the second one tomorrow should be a bit easier.

47 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Could do with a cool spell right now. 

Just come in from sawing very, very hard oak sleepers and screwing them together with 150mm stainless timberloks, to make a couple of raised beds.  Managed to finish one of them, but the combination of the heat, and the embuggerance of trying to work with rock hard oak has almost finished me off.  Found the torque limit of my cheapo Makita clone brushless impact driver though.

The local sawmill let me have the sleepers at a discount, and delivered them the same day, as they'd had them sat in their yard for a few years, and they were a bit grubby.  What I should have realised is that oak gets very hard as it seasons, and these seems to have reached peak hardness.  Even pre-drilling the holes I was twisting up timberloks like corkscrews. After trying a few lubricants, it turns out that the best was silicone grease.  No idea why, as I don't think of silicone grease as a particularly good lubricant normally.  Still, the technique is honed now, so with luck, making the second one tomorrow should be a bit easier.

Try moving 100 ton of limestone, digging out water feature and landscaping under some trees, getting to old for this, o and sorting two great piles of rubble/soil to use under water feature before MOT goes down. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Try moving 100 ton of limestone, digging out water feature and landscaping under some trees, getting to old for this, o and sorting two great piles of rubble/soil to use under water feature before MOT goes down. 

If you've got a spare hour or two we could do with a water feature.  I've had a pond liner sat here since just after Christmas, but the chap that was going to dig the big hole has stopped working because of the lockdown.  We were hoping to get the pond finished before Spring arrived, too.

55 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

If you've got a spare hour or two we could do with a water feature.  I've had a pond liner sat here since just after Christmas, but the chap that was going to dig the big hole has stopped working because of the lockdown.  We were hoping to get the pond finished before Spring arrived, too.

On my way!

Just noticed this bit of ivy in my garden.

Never seen any around here before.

So may nurture it for a few years.

Then kill it.

I do have about 7 self sown, wind blown echiums, so that will be nice.

They usually cost a couple if quid down here.

20 quid upcountry.

Sitting out the front in the evening sun, it is very nice. 

4 hours ago, Jeremy Harris said:

This product contains a mixture of glyphosate salts.

Read the sheet again. This product contains one specific glyphosate salt (glyphosate isopropylammonium) and various salts of a different chemical: 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid.

1954513925_Glyphosate1.thumb.PNG.af48813edb18dae10c72d5a1a0860e32.PNG

Edited to add: these two herbicides are widely used in combination: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enlist_Weed_Control_System

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/05/2020 at 16:44, Jeremy Harris said:

I've been doing battle with this for the past couple of years.  It got established when the plot was still a bare site, and I thought I'd got rid of it by burning it all off with the big gas weed burner I used to clear all the other weeds, before we added fresh topsoil and did the landscaping.  For the area around the trees at the front I covered the ground with heavy duty black weed fabric (the tough, woven, stuff), tightly pegged down and then covered with a layer of bark chippings.  The mare's tail came up through the fabric, and I thought I'd managed to kill it off with repeated treatment of glyphosate, trickled on to the heads so it ran down into all the spiky bits.  Last year the stuff came back, and I repeated the process, and I've just done the same earlier this week.   I rather think I'll be fighting this every year, as it seems to be remarkably resistant to being killed off, with shoots coming up through the weed membrane right across the whole area.

someone recently told me that WD-40 mixed with glyphosate is effective at controlling mares tail. No idea if it’s true but I found at least one YouTube video that seems to suggest that WD-40 just on its own is effective. 

I might give it a go as I have the same problem where it’s breaking through the weed control membrane in a gravel area I have. It’s also started to appear in a couple of beds too :(