Structural Engineer Cost and Recommendations

Noah

I'm just about to start work and need a structural engineer. I'm building a 3 bed house in London.

Does anyone know what I should expect to pay? and do they have any recommendations?

Many thanks

Noah

3 minutes ago, Sensus said:

Somewhere between nothing and a 5-figure sum, depending on design and ground conditions.

It is a straightforward design and ground conditions indicate a shallow strip foundation. Any idea?

We charge a minimum of £300 + VAT - that would usually get you a local site visit if needed and a letter to support findings or a very basic written spec - which for things like founds is usually suitable. i.e. "Foundations based on site findings should be 450mm wide by 200mm deep placed on sound, undisturbed material at a depth of 800mm concrete to be a minimum of C25 Max Slump: 70". 

At that, everyone know what is required and BC will accept that, the builder can build it etc.

If this was me, I would just do a little homework into my ground conditions, then spec a found on my building control drawing and that is it - it either gets accepted or knocked back. People are always desperate to add more info than asked for, it's like dealing with anyone in authority, only offer the bare minimum of information unless asked for something else. My whole build I have submitted not a single calc or detail (apart from the usual wall make up and what not). The only thing I needed to do was get one of our SE's in the office to write me a letter confirming some existing founds could be reused. 

I didn't even submit U-value calcs. 

We even have a lintel detail that is nearly 5m long - we just spec'ed it up nicely - to be fair one of the SE's in the office did it - but it was the same as my first guess as to what we would need and no one asks a thing. 

Edited by Carrerahill

• 1 month later...

I have actually ended up using a few structural engineers for helping with my project (normal 3 bedroom detach house made from brick and block). There are a few complexities in that there are trees near by and it is in a flood zone 3, so the foundations are either 2.5m deep trench or piling. I had many quotes ranging from £1000-5000. Just ensure it includes a full structural calculation package i.e. superstructure, foundation, etc. The quotes also include one sit visit before doing the calculations and one visit onsite. Some may have had 3 sit visits in total.

I'm using a local SE through my architect. £900 for site visit, raft foundation design, ICF design, flat roof, SIP roof steels, cantilevered steel beams for mezanine floor, 12m of RC external retaining walls, and probably a couple other things I've forgotten. I was expecting to pay closer to £1500 tbh.