Can a timber frame build be done using screws?

Hastings

Working on my own and on a steep learning curve I won't be firing 1000s of nails a day, so lower battery capacity caused by temps is not likely to worry me. Running out of gas canisters would be a bigger issue as everything like that comes via ferry so I would need to over buy on gas to prevent that. Modern Li-Ion batts are so much better in cold compared to the Ni-Cads I was using in the 90s (when I had to get by with them on a cine camera in -40C).

Anyone know about the Dewalt or other battery-only first fix nailers?

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Yep, don’t buy it 

paslode or hikoki are the better first fix nailers, the dewalt one has such a bad write up. 

Thanks Russell. I'm drawn to the Hikoki - almost half the price of Paslode.

Any problems with the gas (pressure?) in the +5 to +15C range I'm likely to be working in? Is it like with Propane vs Butane in lower temperatures?

9 hours ago, Hastings said:

Thanks Russell. I'm drawn to the Hikoki - almost half the price of Paslode.

Any problems with the gas (pressure?) in the +5 to +15C range I'm likely to be working in? Is it like with Propane vs Butane in lower temperatures?

Hikoki gun has no gas, battery only. 

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Hikoki gun has no gas, battery only. 

There is a Hikoki gas version at £290 - the gasless one is £440 (with batteries) and although I doubt I will get enough use out of it to benefit from the lower running cost, after re-sale it's not going to be an issue.

I bought a brand new Paslode first fix gun and sold it two years later for only about £100 less than I paid for it. Not sure there's the same demand (and hence such good resale prices) for other nailers.

7 hours ago, Hastings said:

There is a Hikoki gas version at £290 - the gasless one is £440 (with batteries) and although I doubt I will get enough use out of it to benefit from the lower running cost, after re-sale it's not going to be an issue.

Have only seen the write ups on the no gas version, looks very good. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/10/2019 at 18:00, Russell griffiths said:

... check you are allowed to use clipped head nails for your sheathing 

I have always been under the impression that if it’s for racking strength than a coil nailer is needed as clipped head nails are not the right spec for racking boards, it’s probably an American thing so just check. 

I can't get hold of my engineer to check if clipped head nails are okay for the structural frame and sheathing (a Scotland build). Anyone know for certain or where I can find out? Building control officer doesn't communicate so not an option to ask them.

43 minutes ago, Hastings said:

I can't get hold of my engineer to check if clipped head nails are okay for the structural frame and sheathing (a Scotland build). Anyone know for certain or where I can find out? Building control officer doesn't communicate so not an option to ask them.

Any chance that the boards can also be glued on with D4 glue ..??

That is real belt and braces but would add significant additional strength