I'm going to make a shed out of pallets.....

Yes it is very solid. the pallet planks that make up the cladding are about 3/4" thick. The frame is quite sturdy and has diagonal bracing on all sides so it won't start leaning when the wind blows. It's staked down to the ground so it won't blow away.

It's all been painted with the modern version of creosote. the lighter brown on the rear was the first to be done and the front, looking darker was the most recent. I suspect it will all lighten up fairly quickly.  I like creosote for stuff like this, so easy to apply (and re apply) and effective at repelling water and preventing rot.

I forgot to say, the roof timbers are 6 X2 and 4 X 2 timbers that have previously been used as shuttering for a concrete slab, so again, re using previously used timber.

11 hours ago, ProDave said:

I forgot to say, the roof timbers are 6 X2 and 4 X 2 timbers that have previously been used as shuttering for a concrete slab, so again, re using previously used timber.

Loving the re-use element to all this.  Well done you!

4 hours ago, daiking said:

I don't have any pallets to make a shed, maybe my garage door would make a good wall...

You are approaching your spare garage door problem from the wrong angle.

You have the door, so you obviously need to build a garage. All you need is 3 walls and a roof to complete it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You are approaching your spare garage door problem from the wrong angle.

you have the door, so you obviously need to build a garage. All you need is 3 walls and a roof to complete it.

In that case, I already have 2 and a half garage walls. I just need half a wall and a roof and I'm there 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jack said:

Loving the re-use element to all this.  Well done you!

In which case you will be glad to hear the OSB I laid over the floor this afternoon was previously used to temporarily close the window openings in the house last year before the windows arrived. It might be slightly swelled at the edges but nothing serious.

And I connected the electricity to the shed as well this afternoon. Of course it's a recycled consumer unit.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more done on "the shed"

I have dismantled the rest of my pallet collection. These are mostly the pallets that the roof tiles came on. These have yielded much thinner and narrower planks. these have been used to cover the joints in the original shed wall planks, to stop driven rain entering.

shed_7.jpg

shed_8.jpg

What this has shown is just how many pallets you need to get any useful amount of wood from.  What started looking like a very large pile of pallets in the end was barely enough to complete the shed.

Watch out for the next installment. The bearers from the roof tile pallets are set to become the frame for a bench inside the shed.....

Just superb!

My nephew's pallet shed looks doomed to failure he can't even be arsed to stack the saved pallets and put a tarp over them until I've time to help him.

What I've always wondered is whether it's possible to fabricate ROOF MEMBERS from old pallets (short lengths). Thinking a lattice beam maybe.....

• 1 year later...
On 07/11/2016 at 19:43, ProDave said:

A bit more done on "the shed"

I have dismantled the rest of my pallet collection. These are mostly the pallets that the roof tiles came on. These have yielded much thinner and narrower planks. these have been used to cover the joints in the original shed wall planks, to stop driven rain entering.

shed_7.jpg

Watch out for the next installment.

Have I missed the next installment or has the main event taken over?

We're starting to plan our shed made from the usable timber from dismantling the bungalow.

Did your idea of using the thinner narrower slats to cover the joins work at keeping the rain out or did they cup?

We've got most of a roll of Tyvek Housewrap somewhere which we were thinking of putting around the frame before cladding with the floorboards from the bungalow so would we need the cover pieces?

You are correct, I forgot to make any more updates.  It was only the interior, and that is now looking like a shed, full of "stuff"

It's standing up very well and no leaks. Far more sturdy than the shop bought shed I wired for a customer recently, made of something not much stronger than cardboard.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, newhome said:

Is that your refuge when you’ve displeased the mrs? ?

No not mine. I basically guided a non diy'er. Helped him with the base then have gradually stepped away. Got him to the point now where he is now happily using a bevel gauge even! Had to bite my tongue a few times if I've thought something looks a bit rough.

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

No not mine. I basically guided a non diy'er. Helped him with the base then have gradually stepped away. Got him to the point now where he is now happily using a bevel gauge even! Had to bite my tongue a few times if I've thought something looks a bit rough.

Shame you’re not up the hill from me. Mind you I’m sure you would have slit your wrists at my attempts ?

I built a pallet shed too.  Mine was a bit bigger - 4.5m by 2.5m.  I got the doors off Ebay for £12 and the roofing sheets came from there too for £90.  Decking boards were £100 if I remember correctly.  There was a huge window inside that came from a skip - it was south facing so let in lots of light and heat.  It was at a place I was renting so sadly I don't have access to it since we moved.

942058_10200656724956716_23097491_n.jpg

1002438_10200958506101056_1679559248_n.jpg

63569_10200482313836547_1966551736_n.jpg

• Like 4

12'x9.5' outside dimns, the one in my pics above. So approx 11'x8.5' inside. He's infilled the pallet walls inside with more pallet wood. Only shot I've got; his bench top, window sill with the bark still on and pallet clad internal wall. Did mull filling the walls with insulation...but didn't.

IMG_1970

Outside of the pallets is wrapped in breathable felt stapled on. Then vertical tile battens. Then the cladding is screwed on (piss poorly mind :) )

He spent about £200 but on top was stuff he scrounged from me & his FiL. Git used most of my big 3mm packs! :)

Edited by Onoff

53 minutes ago, Square Feet said:

I built a pallet shed too.  Mine was a bit bigger - 4.5m by 2.5m.  I got the doors off Ebay for £12 and the roofing sheets came from there too for £90.  Decking boards were £100 if I remember correctly.  There was a huge window inside that came from a skip - it was south facing so let in lots of light and heat.  It was at a place I was renting so sadly I don't have access to it since we moved.

942058_10200656724956716_23097491_n.jpg

1002438_10200958506101056_1679559248_n.jpg

63569_10200482313836547_1966551736_n.jpg

It'll be Rat City under that decking by now! :)

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Discussing the pallet shed I "supervised" with the owner yesterday: I proposed you could, if pallets were free, 'fill in' the walls inside and out so continuously boarded and then fill the gap with expanding foam.

With the addition of purlins I reckon a SIPS esque roof out of pallets is possible.

2017-08-05_11-54-46