map scale - 1:10'000 where to get?

SuperJohnG

My current PP has been in for 3 weeks waiting to get registered, but I've been sent it back invalid as they want a different scale map. 

They asked for a 1: 2500 in the initial PP request, but now want a 1:10'000 as its rural (even though it has coordinates and very clear) got it from map trunk. 

However i did try and go get a 1:10'00 scale version from there but they only go as big as 1:2500. 

does anyone know where to get bigger scale  maps done online?

IIRC, I had to buy a licence from the OS so that I could download all the map sections needed, at various scales.  I don't think it was that expensive, and they had the option of being able to download the maps in CAD format, so they could be easily manipulated for everything from planning to producing site plans.  The only stipulation was that I had to add the licence number to every plan I produced that used the OS data set.

Thanks @JSHarris and @ProDave

I've been on all the sites - but none do 1:10'000 for planning maps. they only go as big as 1:2500. I don't know why either.

I want to just get an official one - so that they don't spend three weeks getting to the top of the pile only to be told its still invalid as its not a correct map. This is just to remove a planning condition as well its not even to get planning permission, that was granted ages ago! 

If you get the OS digital map as a CAD file, then you can produce any scale you need, as it's in vector format.  IIRC, I just downloaded the map in .dxf format and opened it in AutoCad, then edited it to show the sections I needed, at the scales asked for.

19 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

If you get the OS digital map as a CAD file, then you can produce any scale you need, as it's in vector format.  IIRC, I just downloaded the map in .dxf format and opened it in AutoCad, then edited it to show the sections I needed, at the scales asked for.

Thanks @JSHarris

I can see i can download it in CAD - but doesn't seem to give me a scale for that download - which i strange because then yo can't really scale it. 

I could be being stupid...but I deal with mechanical engineering drawings every day and this OS map world and resources seem pretty rubbish.

1 hour ago, SuperJohnG said:

I've been on all the sites - but none do 1:10'000 for planning maps. they only go as big as 1:2500.

The following sites appear to be able to send you 1:10,000 maps..

Moorland only?..

https://www.promap.co.uk/maps-and-data/current-mapping/os-mastermap/

https://www.emapsite.com/landing/plans-for-the-property-professional/?p=OSVMLDetailedStreetPlan

Edited by Temp

13 minutes ago, Sensus said:

CAD doesn't have a 'scale'... it's drawn in the computer's 'virtual world' at full size, from which, as JS Harris said, you can then print it out (or generate an electronic PDF drawing) at whatever scale you need.

If you're genuinely struggling, PM me the details of what you're looking for - we have a Promap account that allows me to download CAD mapping data for any site, and I can produce the plan you require at nominal cost.

Thanks for the offer but managed to get it. 

I'm aware it doesn't have scale, but if you have no reference size you cant do anything.

1 hour ago, Sensus said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

The CAD data will be in metres, and if you obtain it from any of the normal Ordnance Survey mapping sources it will come with your choice of grid lines.

You then tell your CAD package what scale to present it at, add a north point and scalebar, and the job's a good 'un.

That's what I wasnt sure of. I'd downloaded a sample but it had no reference size or grid lines so with nothing to reference you can tell what one measurement of in it is to get a scale. 

1 hour ago, Sensus said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

The CAD data will be in metres, and if you obtain it from any of the normal Ordnance Survey mapping sources it will come with your choice of grid lines.

You then tell your CAD package what scale to present it at, add a north point and scalebar, and the job's a good 'un.

I know exactly what he means, if you import something into CAD or indeed are sent a CAD drawing that has just been drawn or created without a scale (I refute your comment CAD has no scale) then the components of the drawing do not accurately represent the object they show. They are just lines of differing lengths making up an object(s).

I would doubt it would be in m, usually mm, meters is far to course a unit to use in CAD.

An example - we were sent a landscape drawing for a site this week, we need it to produce HV cable route drawings, it came as a PDF (why people think PDF is an acceptable working format I do not know!) our CAD guys imported it then asked me if I had a reference for scale but this was just the drawing of a chunk of ground and a road in the middle, so when you dimensioned the road it was 1.2mm wide (this is where I refute your scale comment) so I said I know the road to be about 6000mm wide, but I also spotted 2 parking bays outside a building further across the drawing, I told the CAD guy to assume it's a 2400-2500mm wide bay, so we split the difference and went 2450mm for the bay, we used the bay as the reference and set the scale of the CAD drawing, we did a reality check and wham the road comes in a 5986mm! Close enough for me on a HV cable route drawing!

So what @SuperJohnG is trying to do is create a scale from which to then allow him to correctly scale it in the paper-space drawing.

CAD has a scale, without it half the software used in engineering design wouldn't work!

Edited by Carrerahill

14 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

That's what I wasnt sure of. I'd downloaded a sample but it had no reference size or grid lines so with nothing to reference you can tell what one measurement of in it is to get a scale. 

What you are going to need to do is find something you can scale from, then use a map of a known scale and use that to work out the size of a given object, then pull the new map into CAD, type scale, select the whole map, then click a base point (anything will do, use the corner of the line of the object you now have a size for), press R then select the beginning and end of line of the object you know the scale for then type in the new size, so say 41m type in 41000 then hit enter.

The whole drawing will now rescale knowing that that line you have just dimensioned is 41,000mm.

You can do a couple of reality check measurements of things to see if it seem about right. Frankly, the chances are PP won't even know if it was a bit out, at that scale they are not exactly going to turn their scale rule to the 1:10,000 side and measure of the drawing! They clearly just want to see a larger area and they are just being bloody difficult. Let's face it, they can look on their own OS maps or indeed Google maps or anything they want to see the surrounding area. 

Edited by Carrerahill

Just checked the .dxf that I downloaded from the OS when putting our application together.  The base unit is metres, with grid squares annotated in metres.  Selecting any entity on the map gives it's dimensions and location relative to the grid in metres.

Just now, Sensus said:

We are talking about obtaining OS mapping data in CAD format.

This is supplied in .dxf or .dwg format, and it is drawn in metre units at full size in model space (yes, I'm aware that most other stuff is drawn in millimetres).

You can trust me on this: I work with it on a daily basis, and have done so for the last quarter of a century.

I was unaware OS maps in DXF format came in in meters, I guess for an OS map that would make sense - when we export maps (they show full utilities and other things not normally on OS maps) they are always in mm, if I want a particular area, I key in the grid ref and it spits out a 100m, 250m 500m or 1Km squared DWG with the grid ref location in the centre - that then often becomes the base of our external site drawings etc.  - I suspect that is owing to the requirement that we need to often XREF or drop drawings and objects, in mm, onto these drawings.