programmable UFH controllers

vivienz

11 hours ago, ProDave said:

They overcome this with an "accelerator heater" which is a posh name for a tiny (and I mean tiny) heater inside the thermostat.  This is usually just a small resistor.  The "accelerator heater" is turned on when the thermostat is "on"

Thanks Dave, I have had a look and mine does not have a “heater” or neutral wire, no wonder it has a big hysteresis, can you recommend a tank stat with a heater in it? I suppose It does not make a lot of difference with gas boilers and 60+water temps but with “our” 48’ it does.

7 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Thanks Dave, I have had a look and mine does not have a “heater” or neutral wire, no wonder it has a big hysteresis, can you recommend a tank stat with a heater in it? I suppose It does not make a lot of difference with gas boilers and 60+water temps but with “our” 48’ it does.

I have never seen a tank thermostat with a heater.  I guess for tank heating the hysteresis is not such a big issue?  I have only seen accelerator heaters in room thermostats.

• Like 1

Given you've already wired to thermostat positions (are the back boxes on?) you can start by using as a single zone and if dont like then just cut through to the back boxes and put stats on.  You'll also need to add actuators to the manifold and a wiring hub alongside it.

I've used Heatmiser neostat v2's and neohubs.  I've 2 manifolds with 4 and 7 loops from which i've created 6 zones (stats).  The kit and caboodle to do this cost ballpark £650 plus (from the stage you're at now) it'll be an electricians day to hook it all up.

Slightly off your topic Viv, I wonder if those promoting a single zone approach would do so almost regardless of house layout?  I'm dealing with essentially a long bungalow with one half being bedrooms and the other being a single open plan live/dine/kitchen, and historically we never actively heat bedrooms(though they've always been upstairs so benefitted from rising heat).

manifildfinished.jpg

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

@joe90If you can get one with a suitable diameter sensor, a capilliary stat is likely to have tighter control I'd think.

or there's this:

https://www.advancedwater.co.uk/prod-217-255-1621.html

I can second this.  I fitted a capillary stat to our buffer tank and it has pretty tight control, at a guess around 2°C I think.  It's just a simple mechanical stat, with no accelerator heater.

• Like 1

Following on from this and my post about actuators yesterday I’m feeling that running our UFH as one big zone may be better too

its only 2 zones which are adjacent rooms. One is a kitchen so perhaps I’ll dial down the flow rate a little as it gets heated by cooking 

that then eliminates the actuators delays without any cost and keeps the whole thing simple