Phenolic board as loft insulation

MikeGrahamT21

4 hours ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

any issues using it as the 100mm in between the ceiling joists?

Just  make sure the foil is on the warm side of the board and no other insulation below it

I was having a think about that...

Obviously thats totally possible, i can get it up against the plasterboard, but there has to be an air gap for the foil to work doesn't there, otherwise it just acts as a conductor. So on that basis, making an air gap isn't really do-able, nor would it be easy to seal, so was going to have the foil on other side just to act as a VCL. Thoughts?

11 hours ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

I was having a think about that...

Obviously thats totally possible, i can get it up against the plasterboard, but there has to be an air gap for the foil to work doesn't there, otherwise it just acts as a conductor. So on that basis, making an air gap isn't really do-able, nor would it be easy to seal, so was going to have the foil on other side just to act as a VCL. Thoughts?

I was thinking you were putting the Phenolic between the joists like normal 'loft roll'. Putting the foil on the warm side would eliminate the possibility of interstitial condensation within the board. This would also apply to your suggested build-up

Well I’ve made a start on it yesterday, my god there’s some crap up there, going to be a fair few trips to the recycle centre I think! Done 2 insulation boards worth in the eaves, wanted to do the most horrible bits first and to get some of the mountain of boards used up so I can move things around to give me space to take the chipboard up, the joys of doing work in a lived in house!

carrying on today and tomorrow then I’ve booked some time off work to make more progress later in the month