Bathroom floor makeup

Pocster

32 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Just out of general interest, I wonder did you ever consider using metal studwork, @nod-style? I am tempted.

Ahhhhhhh

I have !

All below ground is metal stud ( though I’ve only done a tiny portion) .

Ground level just went with timber because it’s a timber frame ( yeah I know ! No logic there )

Underground metal stud photo ...

image.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Oh interesting. How do you compare using the wood to metal? Which do you prefer using?

Lol !

When I first started with metal I hated it - screwing it together and cutting it a right pain . Then I got into it ! . Loved every piece is dead straight - get a magnetic level and you are laughing . Back on timber now - prefer it . TBH as I will end up swapping between them it would be hard to choose one over the over . Do both ? 

• Thanks 1

Right that’s pretty much it .

Some extra noggins to support plasterboard at edges required later .

Space infront of the vertical white pipes to allow for tv screen at end of bath .

Space above where geberit cistern is going should allow for some recessed storage .

063C1898-71DB-453C-8F73-D506258B5757.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pocster said:

Ok : looked at these on line .

Does that mean the tiles aren’t actually bonded to the concrete ? . Or does a decoupling mat have ‘gaps’ in it to allow the tile adhesive through ?

Happy to use one if it solves potential problems later ...

They don't usually have holes. Most have a texture/pattern both sides that helps the adhesive bond it to the floor and tiles.  Some are waterproof and can provide a form of tanking. BAL have a tech guide...

https://www.bal-adhesives.com/a-technical-guide-to-uncoupling-systems/

There are also several vids on youtube. Search "Decoupling mat" or "uncoupling mat".

Edited by Temp
  • Thanks 1