Supporting the manifold when laying pipe

Nick1c

We are having the concrete power floated as the finished floor on our passive slab. This means that I will have to lay the pipes & attach them to the manifold before there are any supporting walls to fix the manifold to! How have others done it? When the pipe is brought up to vertical is it just hand bent, or is there some form of open bend which is used as a support?

Thank you. 

I made a couple of inverted T metal legs, added a board and pinned it to the insulation. Elbows on the pipe too. 

When it comes to building the wall I'll cut the legs off flush with the floor, they're positioned to be hidden/under the wall. 

FB_IMG_1569996534675.jpg

• Like 2

One adjacent thought: on the couple of examples of a slab pour with UFH which I have seen, the area where the tails emerged was boxed and filled with sand rather than concreted from the start. I think that this makes it easier to manipulate the tails later on. Others may be able to add more detail. Is that relevant for you?

I started by siting the manifold, then laid pipes to/from manifold, stapled to the insulation.

Metal deckchairs positioned, then mesh laid over with holes cut to go over manifold. Extra plastic chairs added where necessary. Also had 2 layers of mesh in places, so last job was separating with little concrete blocks. 

I had some industrial cling film type stuff that I wrapped the manifold in while the concrete was poured. And our barn was already watertight before concrete poured.