Heating not working

Moggaman

There is a circulation pump in the garage that is hot ... see second picture. 

If I undo the screw in that pump and move the propeller with a screw , will a lot of water come out?

thanks 

Edited by Moggaman

If you take out the bleed screw it will let out air or water, but it won't give you access to turn the propeller. Not even sure why you think you need to do that.

Follow the pipes from the boiler to see what is getting hot and what is not, i.e. at some point, perhaps that motorised valve you will find no heat.

I assume the boiler is firing?  Is the hot water working?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ProDave said:

If you take out the bleed screw it will let out air or water, but it won't give you access to turn the propeller. Not even sure why you think you need to do that.

Follow the pipes from the boiler to see what is getting hot and what is not, i.e. at some point, perhaps that motorised valve you will find no heat.

I assume the boiler is firing?  Is the hot water working?

I just googled seized pumps and saw that if u take off the bleed screw and stick in a screwdriver and manually turn the pump it may unseize it...( when the heating is off)...yes the boiler is firing and we have had no problem with showers.. only turned heating in today after 4 months... pump beside boiler was hot 

Common problems...

Sludge building up in the system. In the summer it settles out blocking pipes and pumps. First time you turn it on again it doesn't work. 

Diverter valve weeps and electrical contacts fail causing pump not to run. Although usually this also stops the boiler firing up when CH calls for heat.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Sludge building up in the system. In the summer it settles out blocking pipes and pumps. First time you turn it on again it doesn't work. 

My brother for years used to have to hit his pump with a hammer first time he put the heating on after the summer.

• Like 1

Agree with Temp, more likely diverter valve, although if you have HW and no heating boiler will run but might overheat so will need to press reset button. When was it all serviced last, looks a bit of a mess, lots of weeping/corrosion  Typical problem, my husband is a plumber and we get lots of requests for services this time of year, when one delves deeper one finds the problem is the heating not working not just a service. Moral of the tale, get your boiler system checked mid/ late summer, not when it gets cold. It shouldn't cost much with an honest decent plumber/heating peep, around £60-80 a year, costs more when they are busy:, you are in a hurry and cold plus you'll have to join the queue. I don't turn my heating off (obviously on timer) but turn room stat down it then triggers for a short time on those odd cold summer days (1 or 2 this summer, came on for 15 mins each time) and keeps it all moving. Bleed rads, if the water after air coming out really black that might be a sludge issue (will need flushing and might have knackered pumps and more likely diverter), give the diverter valve a sharp knock with a piece of wood, not a hammer, if it then works you still need it serviced and looked at but you will be less cold and damp while you wait.

• Like 1

Funny how service engineers almost never check and top up the corrosion inhibitor. I think they don't like spider in lofts :-)

Test kits appear to be available for £2..

https://www.cityplumbing.co.uk/Sentinel-X100-Quick-Test-Kit-X100T-QT-GB/p/802006?gmcpid=802006&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuNbsBRC-ARIsAAzITudWfU5yVUvyrk5f6T0PRV1-ofQ6NbEJ-muToutXS8VmQh2vEmoyMfQaAvVGEALw_wcB#fo_c=2832&fo_k=361337576f1900bb75eeae0e18116ccb&fo_s=gplauk