Best Gloss Paint - Internal Doors

colin7777

Hi All,

Looking for recommendations on the best gloss paint to use on internal doors, painted doors around six months ago and they are starting to look yellow, I thought this was a thing from the past with paints.

Non smoking house and and no sunlight gets directly on to the doors.

Thanks

Colin

Just use a good quality water based gloss paint. I'm not sure whats best brush or roller, but because its quick drying don't over brush it as it dried or it will gain a "grain" effect. Just brush on and leave it to level out.

I don't know if what you used previously was oil or water based paint, but I know that oil based stuff yellows over time as that oil comes back to the surface. Just look at how it separates in the tin and you have to mix that surface layer back in. 

Edited by AdamSee

when I get that far  i will be tempted to do what i did years ago on  kitchen  cupboards I wanted to change colour of

used car paint +spray them --then it never changes and you,ll never have to repaint 

you don,t really think the front door of 10 downing street is brush painted  to have a finish like that .LOL

Just ordered Dulux water based paint, will update once completed all the painting and the experiences and any disasters along the way. 

After further research it is the lack of light that makes oil based paint yellow and I had always thought it was the Sun that turned it yellow so Oil based Gloss is propably best to use for external use.

Colin

5 minutes ago, colin7777 said:

Just ordered Dulux water based paint, will update once completed all the painting and the experiences and any disasters along the way. 

After further research it is the lack of light that makes oil based paint yellow and I had always thought it was the Sun that turned it yellow so Oil based Gloss is propably best to use for external use.

Colin

Be very interested to hear how you get on with this, as I want to paint the wall behind the machine tool bench in my workshop with white gloss, so it's easier to wipe down and keep reasonably clean.  Last time I tried water-based gloss was about 5 or 6 years ago, and it wasn't that good.  Covering power wasn't great, plus the finish wasn't a true gloss, more a sort of satin finish.  I believe that it's improved a lot in recent years though.

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

Be very interested to hear how you get on with this, as I want to paint the wall behind the machine tool bench in my workshop with white gloss, so it's easier to wipe down and keep reasonably clean.  Last time I tried water-based gloss was about 5 or 6 years ago, and it wasn't that good.  Covering power wasn't great, plus the finish wasn't a true gloss, more a sort of satin finish.  I believe that it's improved a lot in recent years though.

Is vinyl silk not a good option for this?

Just now, bassanclan said:

Is vinyl silk not a good option for this?

That's what's on there at the moment.  After a couple of years it's looking pretty stained and worn through in places where I've wiped it down.  My hope is that gloss will be tougher and easier to clean.

I like Dulux Trade Quick Dry Gloss, which has a decent gloss level and pretty hard wearing (although still a little behind traditional oil paints) and brushes out nicely. The others I’ve tried tend to have a sheen that is closer to satin as well as being difficult (for me anyway) to get a smooth finish.

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Since getting my scaffold tower, it has rained everyday for the last 3 weeks.

In amateur astronomy it's well understood that clouds are caused by people buying new telescopes.

Edited by Ed Davies
Insert missing “it's”.
  • Haha 2

So today applied Dulux Trade Quick Dry Gloss (water based) paint to panelled doors with a wood grain effect. Used a synthetic brush as it says on the tin.

I would probably class myself as an average DIY painter so wasn't expecting to see my reflection.

The paint went on easily, I wet the brush with water but didn't spray or wet the door as worried it may run too much after reading some comments. Yes the paint is thinner than normal oil based gloss. Best way I found was not to load too much paint on to the brush, this stopped the brush dripping.

The finish is very good, not the shine you get with oil based gloss, but if you are a skilled painter I think with a bit more paint it would shine more but wanted to avoid runs. 

My main aim was to stop the yellowing that I found on a couple of doors that were painted around 3 months ago with Dulux Gloss.

I found a little trick, if it is getting too tacky just go over the area with a paint free wet brush and then the paint loaded brush very gently.

I use brushes as I just cannot get on with rollers but I am sure a roller would work well and obviously a lot quicker.

Not sure if I could paint a flat door with a brush without getting brush strokes showing, but lucky I don't have any of these.

Colin

• Like 1