Electrics Q

zoothorn

17 minutes ago, ProDave said:

That's an EICR, Electrical Installation Condition Report.  That report makes it clear you are NOT inspecting hidden cables etc, only what you can see or test.

Part P is about cable routes, sticking to safe zones etc. You can't check for that in an EICR. 

Just to show how stupid the "rules" are, a couple of years ago the Scottish Government decreed that rental properties MUST have a valid EICR, ANDD that the EICR must be performed by a member of a scam.

So I am in the even more ridiculous situation that I can do an EICR for someone wanting to know the state of the wiring, perhaps pre purchase, I can do an EICR for a commercial customer, I can wire new builds and issue an EIC.  But unless I stump up £00's and jump through the hoops to join a scam, I cannot do an EICR if it's purpose is rental.

The rules get sillier and sillier.  Never mind 3 1/2 years and I won't have to bother any more.

Good information, hopefully by the time you retire they haven’t put the pension age up to 80 

4 minutes ago, Adam E said:

Good information, hopefully by the time you retire they haven’t put the pension age up to 80 

One of my sailing partners, 2 weeks before her 60th birthday, she got the letter saying her state pension age had gone up to 65.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

One of my sailing partners, 2 weeks before her 60th birthday, she got the letter saying her state pension age had gone up to 65.

My wife had something similar, but a bit more notice.  She retired last Friday, and is now worrying about the six year gap before she gets her state pension at 66.  She'd planned on her state pension age and civil service pension age remaining the same, but her civil service retirement age stayed at 60 and her state pension age has shifted away to 66.  I'm fortunate, in that my state pension age stayed at 65, so my plans of retiring early (I retired when I was 57) and being able to manage until I started getting the state pension a couple of years ago pretty much worked out OK (or would have done, had the build not gone over budget). 

I suppose we should be thankful that, in the main, our plans have worked out reasonably well.  I've ended up with a bigger overall pension than I'd estimated, and that pretty much compensates for my wife ending up with a pension gap for 6 years.  The snag is that she doesn't much like having to rely on my pension...

54 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

My wife had something similar, but a bit more notice.  She retired last Friday, and is now worrying about the six year gap before she gets her state pension at 66.  She'd planned on her state pension age and civil service pension age remaining the same, but her civil service retirement age stayed at 60 and her state pension age has shifted away to 66.  I'm fortunate, in that my state pension age stayed at 65, so my plans of retiring early (I retired when I was 57) and being able to manage until I started getting the state pension a couple of years ago pretty much worked out OK (or would have done, had the build not gone over budget). 

It does take some re thinking of pensions, and how and when they pay out.

My AEA pension starts at 60 (though now it has the flexibility to draw it early if I want to)  That and my state pension will be enough, add my wifes state pension as well and we will have an income not far short of what we are earning now.

So the "issue" is how to fill that gap between when I want to retire (60) and SP age.

I am "solving" that with another pension from another company I worked for. That was a defined contribution scheme (the only DC pension I have).  I have placed that into a flexible drawdown account.  The plan being to start drawing it when I reach 60 and draw it at such a rate that it will run dry on the day my state pension starts.  I do like having that flexibility rather than be forced to just buy an annuity with it.

• Like 1

That gap, between when I retired and when I started receiving the state pension, really exacerbated our cost over run problems.  If we'd had the extra £500 a month from the state pension we could have moved in a year earlier, I'm sure.  The daft thing is that, having got used to living on less during the build, and paying to run two houses (one of which cost more than twice as much to run, even though it was a lot smaller), we've now found ourselves with money to spare.  This is causing as much tension as not having much spare cash, as my view is that we should just spend what we have whilst we can enjoy it (we both have a fair bit of savings from the sale of the old house) but SWMBO seems intent on just saving regularly (seems a bit pointless given the rubbish interest rate).

The tax treatment of pensions p****s me off.  I have the money sat there that would finish the house.  It would be lovely to just draw it out and get the damned house finished.  Spending a chunk of my pension like that in one go would not be financial suicide, it would be made up later from the eventual sale of the old house.  But the tax implications of drawing a big lump in one go like that make it not realistic.

10 hours ago, Onoff said:

I'm f***ed. Equitable Life me.

You can rent their old building out.  £20/sq foot

http://www.showcase.co.uk/property/Walton-Street/South-East/Aylesbury/9638655

Does seem odd that the tax office was opposite and they never noticed that the company was corrupt.  I knew a guy that worked at Equitable in a senior position, he expected sympathy when he lost his job.  He ended up as the only shelf stacker at Tesco with a new BMW 5 series.

Thieving crooks.

blueleanie.jpg

Edited by SteamyTea

31 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

You can rent their old building out.  £20/sq foot

http://www.showcase.co.uk/property/Walton-Street/South-East/Aylesbury/9638655

Does seem odd that the tax office was opposite and they never noticed that the company was corrupt.  I knew a guy that worked at Equitable in a senior position, he expected sympathy when he lost his job.  He ended up as the only shelf stacker at Tesco with a new BMW 5 series.

Thieving crooks.

blueleanie.jpg

Gets worse as because of the grief I've never upped my monthly pension contributions 

...since 1988.