The answer to life: efficient storage.

We're starting to clear out our cottage in preparation for the move up the garden path into Great Crested Newt Towers (Salamander Cottage)

And that means endless trips to the tip, books to Oxfam, long-forgotten stuff cooed over and then thrown away. And, given our age, the first step in the gentle process of Death Cleaning . The last thing we want to bequeath our kids is a few weeks hard, unpleasant work.

So we need storage boxes. We still need to to pack away thousands of bits and pieces. Where does it all come from?  I think I must have spent a week searching for a plastic storage box 'system' : stackable, fairly robust, and sensibly priced.

I think the searching is making me  go cross-eyed . Anyone got a recommendation?

We got a whole load of Banana boxes from the local supermarket.

Warning they don't have a solid bottom (there is a hole in it)  fine for books etc but if you want to put small stuff in, find any other old cardboard box and cut a patch to put in the bottom first.

Very sturdy, all the same size and available for free in abundance.

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

We got a whole load of Banana boxes from the local supermarket.

Warning they don't have a solid bottom (there is a hole in it)  fine for books etc but if you want to put small stuff in, find any other old cardboard box and cut a patch to put in the bottom first.

Very sturdy, all the same size and available for free in abundance.

Totally great boxes, I get all my shopping in these, they then come home and get used for all sorts and eventually get flat packed and when there is a 100 or so they get used for mulching in the garden. 

Tesco crates!!!, (I know they are supposed to go back ? )or any other supermarket crate, they are solid, stack well (no lids) I got a load and still use them in my garage (built a rack for them to slide into) and loft, they even have a label slot .

4 hours ago, joe90 said:

Tesco crates!!!, (I know they are supposed to go back ? )or any other supermarket crate, they are solid, stack well (no lids) I got a load and still use them in my garage (built a rack for them to slide into) and loft, they even have a label slot .

???

Edited by Ferdinand

I got so fed up with the kids ' ... needing to store ... ' ( or simply plonking rubbish  in there without telling us)   at our place that I created a section in our storage area called Death Row.  

If it was still in there after six months , I sent the offender a  text. Still there after a further six months - skipped. 

Not one of them has ever complained - they dont need their A Level notes any more.... funny that innit?

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

I work on the principle that if I haven’t used something in two years, then you don’t need it so it goes in the skip. 

I gave up doing that when you look for something you know you have been keeping just in case, and you find a use for it just after you threw it away.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Perhaps I don't need to keep my HND notes any more then?

HND? Wow you're clever! 

My missus has plonked all my ONC notes in the lounge for me to "sort" as part of her current clearout of one of the hip end loft spaces. Sort...she means bin! ?

I f**ked up not completing my HNC. I blame cars, girls and drink. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

HND? Wow you're clever! 

My missus has plonked all my ONC notes in the lounge for me to "sort" as part of her current clearout of one of the hip end loft spaces. Sort...she means bin! ?

I f**ked up not completing my HNC. I blame cars, girls and drink. 

In that order ???

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I was never clever enough to do a degree

Do one now, it may pay better, and you don't have to get a student loan in Scotland.

I got a bursary of £10k when I did a post grad course, was the easiest money ever. I even joked that my academic references where put at the end of random sentences for a laugh. I never once read more than a paragraph of any of the texts.

And they wonder why education is in crisis.

Edited by SteamyTea

I'm trying to convince SWMBO to ditch the hand me down 3 piece in the conservatory which we never ever sit out in and which is covered in accumulated crap. Along with a couple of random occasional tables and the cabinet the fish tank is on:

20190929_103444.thumb.jpg.64cc15e99bfd0fcb9337ef6bf2f1a09f.jpg

Now the bathrooms done I've lost my storage space! ?

In it's place I'd like L shaped caravan style seating with lift up cushions and storage. It really would help.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

When we moved I found a folder full of old payslips.  The earliest dated back to 1972, when I was earning the princely sum of £478 p.a, a bit under £40 per month before deductions.

Speculating, you kept one from the same month every third year to give an evidenced and interpolatable trend line, and binned the rest.

On first attempt, I read that as 3 O levels and a goose. 

?

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

o levels (and a gcse)

Weren't they the same thing?

I got just 3 O Levels. English Language, Geography and Design & Technology. All at grade C. The rest D to U.

Yes, U. 

My father delights in telling my kids how he only ever picked me up from school from detention.