Aldi Air Compressors

Triassic

I’m thinking of splashing out (£79.99) and getting an air compressor. I keep seeing adverts fir the Aldi air compressor, has anyone got one and are they any good?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/2-5hp-air-compressor/p/020344298050300

My first project is to sand blast some bits for a small restoration project. Can Anyone suggest a small sandblast kit to suit the Aldi compressor?

I've got an Aldi compressor and their sand blast attachment. I'm always using the compressor, from tyres to nail gun to simply blowing brick dust off the Rage 3 saw. Sand blaster is slow, runs out quick and wants to be more "agressive" ideally.

4 minutes ago, Temp said:

Wonder if it's possible to hook one up to a bigger reservoir? Something like an old 47kg LPG cylinder? Then leave the compressor running for awhile before starting work.

Yes, quite feasible.

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/propane-cylinder-as-air-receiver.31471/

Edited by Onoff

On 27/09/2019 at 17:14, Triassic said:

My first project is to sand blast some bits for a small restoration project.

If they are moveable and will fit, get a sand blast cabinet. They can be had for £65-75 and it stops sand getting everywhere. Hooked up to a decent cyclone and hoover they will also stay pretty dust free. 

Many years ago, my workshop compressor was a V twin, ex-cold store refrigeration compressor, driven by a scrap motor of unknown parentage, fitted to some angle iron that was welded on to an old Calor gas cylinder.  The gas cylinder was just rinsed out with water a few times to remove any residual gas (still stank of the stuff though).  The big problem was that, despite the fairly large reservoir, the compressor just couldn't keep up with something like a spray gun.  It just meant keeping an eye on the unregulated pressure and pausing every few minutes to let the compressor catch up.

39 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Many years ago, my workshop compressor was a V twin, ex-cold store refrigeration compressor, driven by a scrap motor of unknown parentage, fitted to some angle iron that was welded on to an old Calor gas cylinder.  The gas cylinder was just rinsed out with water a few times to remove any residual gas (still stank of the stuff though).  The big problem was that, despite the fairly large reservoir, the compressor just couldn't keep up with something like a spray gun.  It just meant keeping an eye on the unregulated pressure and pausing every few minutes to let the compressor catch up.

My compressor is of the same ilk. An early 1900's "Ben" compressor and the air reservoir from a lorry braking system.