Removing part of my landing

Just wondered if you guys can see any reason I couldn't remove one part of my gallery landing. I thought about it a long time ago as I wanted a direct view up from the front door as soon as you walked in, rather than seeing the underside of a walkway.

I've attached a pic of how the landing is now and one of how I would like to do it (in blue). "Stairs 2" go up to the rooms in the loft.

landing.JPG

landing new.jpg

48 minutes ago, ProDave said:

So the only way to get from the master, to the other bedrooms, would be descend half a flight and go back up again?

Yep

19 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

No.

The effect you talk about - drawing your eye upward - is exactly why we have had our landing designed as you suggest.

Even reducing that part of the landing to 800, you would only see the last 1/4 of the gallery landing ceiling. Glad I've asked and not alone in thinking about it ;)

Nothing stopping you doing it, probably easier to build.

But I wouldn't, people are unlikely to look directly up when they come through the front door, their eyes will be drawn to the stairs and it is double height there.

Meanwhile the first floor landing will feel a lot more cramped after the change. Also is there a games room or something in the roof? People in beds 2-4 will have to go down then up the stairs to get there. I also think the little corner in front of the square bay could look awkward.

You could reduce the width to 900mm ish if you want a bigger double height space but I would keep the landing.

Edited by AliG

I guess this is the difficult thing with self build, you have to imagine it and walk through it it your mind a thousand times.

Not sure exactly what the loft rooms are going to be yet, but yes I know it would mean going down and up stairs to cross over and would also mean it would also mean going past the master bedroom door each time which is obviously a downside................................

Even reducing the front part of the landing to 800 doesn't massively reduce the amount you see - I've marked up my hallway in my house today to help me see the sight lines ;)

The thought of having walk on glazing at the front had crossed my mind but just not convinced about it.

I may just leave out the steel that supports the front and put it in if I decide at a later date...........................

15 hours ago, AliG said:

[...]

But I wouldn't, people are unlikely to look directly up when they come through the front door, their eyes will be drawn to the stairs and it is double height there.

[...]

Good point. Hadn't thought of that.

When people walk in to our place, they automatically look up - because there is a large window for people to look through. Thats the difference

26 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Good point. Hadn't thought of that.

When people walk in to our place, they automatically look up - because there is a large window for people to look through. Thats the difference

Do you mean the window is above the door or in front of it? Any pics?

I like that but does it get that sense of space cos it looks more open planned?

If you took a pic as soon as you were at the door, isn't most of the double height ceiling blocked though from the landing above the door?

I like the idea of the big statement baronial entrance hall with extra open space to look up through. Is there budget for a moose head with antlers?

Have you modeled the traffic frequency from master bedroom to the other bedrooms e.g. young child having a nightmare? The other issue is how often will people leave a bedroom 2/3/4 and head for the second smaller staircase?

Edited by epsilonGreedy

Mouse head would be a bit small :P lol

The thing is it'll just be me and my dog living in this house, but I obviously want/need to build it as a family home just in case or I sell it one day. I'd have no idea how to model that traffic.

If I left out the steel and want to put it in at a later date, how difficult would that be? On the SE's drawings, they attach with cleats and bolts, but is there any wiggle room when fitting these? I wondered because measuring very accurately over 7 odd metres might be a slight issue as per the post last week about tape measures ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks for helping me see sense. I was looking at it wrongly, take 1 or so steps in from the door and you practically see straight up to the double height ceiling. No one is going to stand at the door and look up, it's natural to walk in :)

The only thing I'm considering (and it probably won't happen) is reducing that part of the land to 800 or 1000mm - but as I said, probably will just keep it at 1250mm to match the rest of the landing

Off topic but if it not too late, consider having a larger door to the airing cupboard as if the cylinder fails you would need to demolish a section of wall.  I don't think the clear space at the head of stair matters as this is a cupboard.  You could have a bifold type door.  The plumber will thank you, or rather, the plumber will not curse you as much.

Not too late at all (I wish lol) and a very good point. I'm pretty sure I already asked my architect about that and was told it was because it was at the top of the stairs. I guess if I had the door opening the other way and had something to stop it opening more than 90 degrees or so, it would help/prevent from falling.

At the moment the door is 533 wide which is pretty tiny and useless. I will look at having it at least 838 like the rest of the doors, or as you suggest, some sort of bi-fold.

I appreciate the comment :)