Typical VAT reclaim amounts.

I'm trying to understand and project my cashflow at the moment but only a at the beginning of the process. 

I'm aware that everyone's builds are different shapes, sizes, standards and contractiong styles from turnkey through to buy everything yourself and build  it. But I was wondering  how much are peoples typical vat reclaims?

Itll will give me an idea of if we are talking 5k or 50k I'll have to outlay until I get it back....

Thanks in advance if you're willing to share. 

Reclaim amounts and typical projects details might be helpful.

I reclaimed about £14k on a £550k build.

I was surprised how low it was TBH, however all work and majority of materials were zero rated at source - I went supply & fit wherever I could.

The bulk of the claim (by receipts) was on landscaping materials where my workers were on a day rate. Other big items were velux windows, EPS for basement insulation, lightwells, first and second fix timber, flooring, doors, MVHR and bathroom 1st / 2nd fix. Lots of little things too, I had about 180 invoices / receipts.

25 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

I'm trying to understand and project my cashflow at the moment but only a at the beginning of the process. 

I'm aware that everyone's builds are different shapes, sizes, standards and contractiong styles from turnkey through to buy everything yourself and build  it. But I was wondering  how much are peoples typical vat reclaims?

Itll will give me an idea of if we are talking 5k or 50k I'll have to outlay until I get it back....

Thanks in advance if you're willing to share. 

Reclaim amounts and typical projects details might be helpful.

I'm at £10,000 and just completed first fix (140 square meters). 

With the exception of block, concrete, sand and some soils pipes, all the other materials have been supplied by me.

Cash is king during the build, but if your contractors supply materials you may find they add a margin and the overall cost may be more expensive.

Although you get the VAT back, your build costs if applying for a mortgage will need to include VAT on the materials, as your lender will need to be satisfied that you can fund the VAT gap during the build. This coupled with a contingency say 10% can add a bit onto the proposed build costs.

15 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Just received confirmation from HMRC that my claim for £8821 will be paid in the next 20days ?????. I can recommend the VAT consultant I used to make sure it’s done correctly.

What was the cost (fixed or %) if you don't mind me asking?

I procrastinated hugely over mine but ultimately only took a few hours over two weekends to complete - one weekend to collate, sort and request missing invoices and the second weekend to type in the amounts and bind everything together.

44 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Yup, £350 for up to £10k and then sliding scale 3.5% to 2.5% above that. There was another thread on here about what jobs we should try ourselves and what to leave to professionals, this is one I definitely wanted someone “capable” to do, I am good at woodwork but crap at paperwork, and considering HMRC changed the rules without any notification (within three months of moving in not building regs sign off) I wanted a professional job done, and got it.

I have also passed him info from this forum (another thread about VAT) about appeals lost by HMRC regarding refusal to pay VAT refund and he was greatful fir the info. Today he has a “VAT solicitor” with him and he is reviewing cases (including mine) to see where more can be gained fir customers. I cannot recommend him highly enough and I know several others have used him.

“Andrew James (the VAT man)”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Just received confirmation from HMRC that my claim for £8821 will be paid in the next 20days ?????. I can recommend the VAT consultant I used to make sure it’s done correctly.

Good news 

They told us that a few weeks back and it through the same week 

I was quite impressed at how easy they made it to claim 

1 hour ago, Bitpipe said:

I procrastinated hugely over mine but ultimately only took a few hours over two weekends to complete - one weekend to collate, sort and request missing invoices and the second weekend to type in the amounts and bind everything together.

It took us longer chasing a few invoices and copying all the originals We did make an enquire about a vat claim company doing it 

5% was quoted 

10 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Yup, £350 for up to £10k and then sliding scale 3.5% to 2.5% above that. There was another thread on here about what jobs we should try ourselves and what to leave to professionals, this is one I definitely wanted someone “capable” to do, I am good at woodwork but crap at paperwork, and considering HMRC changed the rules without any notification (within three months of moving in not building regs sign off) I wanted a professional job done, and got it.

I have also passed him info from this forum (another thread about VAT) about appeals lost by HMRC regarding refusal to pay VAT refund and he was greatful fir the info. Today he has a “VAT solicitor” with him and he is reviewing cases (including mine) to see where more can be gained fir customers. I cannot recommend him highly enough and I know several others have used him.

“Andrew James (the VAT man)”

We would have gone with 2.5%

1 minute ago, nod said:

It took us longer chasing a few invoices and copying all the originals We did make an enquire about a vat claim company doing it 

I was surprised that some invoices I sent them with the VAT specified and the suppliers VAT Reg number on them were not proper invoices, Andrew James emailed all these companies fir me asking fir proper VAT invoices, so HMRC would probably have fined me fir making a mistake ?

I submitted loads of invoices that weren't specifically marked as being VAT invoices, and loads that had neither my name or address on (till receipts, for example) In our case HMRC accepted all of them, even some of the till receipts that were a bit faded.

Took me around 3 or 4 days to sort out all the receipts, put them in order, check them and enter the details on the HMRC form, so not a quick task, by any stretch.

2 hours ago, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

@joe90 Could you PM the contact details for VATman please.

I think it’s quite alright to recommend people on the forum without breaking any rules,

Andrew Jones (the VAT man)

email= andrew@vat431.co.uk

web= www.vay431.co.uk

6 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I submitted loads of invoices that weren't specifically marked as being VAT invoices, and loads that had neither my name or address on (till receipts, for example) In our case HMRC accepted all of them, even some of the till receipts that were a bit faded.

Took me around 3 or 4 days to sort out all the receipts, put them in order, check them and enter the details on the HMRC form, so not a quick task, by any stretch.

Agree - I had a mix of receipts, invoices etc. Made sure they all had a VAT number on, a few I had to write them on myself. All accepted.

Those rates are not outrageous, I'd happily pay £200 to have a joiner on site for a day so horses for courses!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, Andrew (the VAT man) has just emailed me to say he has got a “VAT legal expert” to look at my claim (at no cost to me) and he thinks I may get another £1000 refunded (minus 22% fee). Watch this space.

• Like 1

Wow, fast or wot!!!, just got confirmation that the “VAT legal expert “ spoke to my builders accountant  ( I trust my builder entirely and he has become a very good friend) and he has agreed this sum will be refunded this week. I don’t know why this amount was missed by them or me, I would be interested to know why tho!!,.  A good example of how good Andrew (the vat man) is and leaving some things to experts. ?

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Wow, fast or wot!!!, just got confirmation that the “VAT legal expert “ spoke to my builders accountant  ( I trust my builder entirely and he has become a very good friend) and he has agreed this sum will be refunded this week. I don’t know why this amount was missed by them or me, I would be interested to know why tho!!,.  A good example of how good Andrew (the vat man) is and leaving some things to experts. ?

Wow, that's impressive. Way more than his fee saved with a single phone call!

• Thanks 1