Trench Rules

Andrew

Our groundworks are (hopefully) starting really soon and I need to specify the trenches required and what goes in each. By way of background in addition to the main house  we have a detached double garage with a 40m2 studio / office space in the roof. This contains a small bathroom with shower. Fortunately the garage is only about 3m away from the ground floor plant room (in the house) at the nearest point, so the plan is to use a single ASHP to run UFH and DHW for the house and garage with an unvented hw cylinder in the plant room (in the house) - mainly to save duplication and keep things simple. 

All of the drainage for foul water + surface water runs are already specified separately. 

Current thinking is :-

Garage <-> House (plant room)

Cold Water

Insulated DHW feed

Electricity (substantial as incoming mains will be terminated in garage and then run to house - also PV generation on house and garage + possible battery storage in garage)

Cat 6 x 12 (ethernet, 4K video, probably more + redundancy)

Insulated UFH flow and return 

UFH control cable (from thermostat - timer / controller will be in house plant room)

Gate Pillars <-> House (plant room)

Electricity (for electric gates, lighting + intercom)

Cat 6 x 4 (one is required for intercom rest for redundancy)

Garage -> Packaged Treatment Plant

Electricity (for pump)

General

I also need to think about things like -

Sky Dish

External Lighting

Alarm sounder box

External CCTV cameras

is it worth trying to bring these out through the foundations or is it best to make penetrations for these at the appropriate places and seal the airtight layer really well then?

Is there anything obvious I've forgotten? (more than likely will be)

What are the rules for combining service in trenches. I'm pretty sure we can't just dig one big trench between the house and garage and stick everything in!!

Any and all thoughts / contributions very gratefully received. 

31 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Our groundworks are (hopefully) starting really soon and I need to specify the trenches required and what goes in each. By way of background in addition to the main house  we have a detached double garage with a 40m2 studio / office space in the roof. This contains a small bathroom with shower. Fortunately the garage is only about 3m away from the ground floor plant room (in the house) at the nearest point, so the plan is to use a single ASHP to run UFH and DHW for the house and garage with an unvented hw cylinder in the plant room (in the house) - mainly to save duplication and keep things simple. 

All of the drainage for foul water + surface water runs are already specified separately. 

Current thinking is :-

Garage <-> House (plant room)

Cold Water

Insulated DHW feed

Electricity (substantial as incoming mains will be terminated in garage and then run to house - also PV generation on house and garage + possible battery storage in garage)

Cat 6 x 12 (ethernet, 4K video, probably more + redundancy)

Insulated UFH flow and return 

UFH control cable (from thermostat - timer / controller will be in house plant room)

Gate Pillars <-> House (plant room)

Electricity (for electric gates, lighting + intercom)

Cat 6 x 4 (one is required for intercom rest for redundancy)

Garage -> Packaged Treatment Plant

Electricity (for pump)

General

I also need to think about things like -

Sky Dish

External Lighting

Alarm sounder box

External CCTV cameras

is it worth trying to bring these out through the foundations or is it best to make penetrations for these at the appropriate places and seal the airtight layer really well then?

Is there anything obvious I've forgotten? (more than likely will be)

What are the rules for combining service in trenches. I'm pretty sure we can't just dig one big trench between the house and garage and stick everything in!!

Any and all thoughts / contributions very gratefully received. 

We put electricity gas and water all in one trench and a duct for anything else that may come along later