Worst DIY product of the year

H F

We just wasted our money on this awful product last week: E Strip Self Adhesive Rubber

It doesn’t stick to where it’s supposed (unless it’s too itself), unsticks stupidly easy (but not from itself). It’s a mess. Hate it. 

That got me thinking. I bet you guys here have purchased some duds - what’s the worst DIY/build product you purchased or came across this year?

FCE2440A-5E5C-4DF1-A47A-8818D2D9FCD9.jpeg

A few years ago I was asked by a relative if I could help them out and skim over two Artex ceilings 

When I got there they had made a start using a product called no more Artex They had bought about twenty buckets of the stuff 

I have made nothing but bad life choices.

“Mistakes are almost always of a sacred nature. Never try to correct them. On the contrary: rationalize them, understand them thoroughly. After that, it will be possible for you to sublimate them.” 
 Salvador Dali

The sealing strip sticks well if the surface is prepared properly.  As above, wipe with IPA, dry off thoroughly (IPA cools the surface and may leave condensation behind) ideally warm up the surface, then apply the strip and push hard on it to ensure a good bond. 

Any trace of dirt, dust, oils from paints etc will stop stuff from sticking, so degreasing and cleaning well is essential when using any adhesive product, and especially so with self-adhesive stuff.  A useful check it to try a bit of masking tape on a surface first.  If that sticks the surface is clean enough, if it doesn't, then it isn't.

Worst DIY product ever sold has to be those "DIY Outside Tap kits" that use a washing machine hose to connect out to the tap.

I have uses sealing strip similar to the OP to seal the door to the garage and it has not come unstuck yet.