Anyone used Agilia or topflow concrete?

gwebstech

Yes I used agilia.

It was about 25% more than normal concrete, plus it has to be pumped where you might barrow etc.

The area rep will come and spray the activator and tamp down on the first time you order, but will expect you to do it on subsequent orderings/jobs.

For large expanses you need to cut in breaks the next day to stop cracks.

If you are tiling then you need to remove the laitance. I would advise doing it in the first couple of weeks, otherwise it is difficult to get off as it sets too hard

1 hour ago, gwebstech said:

ive also no idea of cost compared to concrete mixed on site

About 100% premium to on site mix however if you’re thinking slab then think again as you can’t mix a full house slab by hand. 

I have used a different self compacting concrete but do not get drawn into the sales patter that it self levels as it doesn’t. You need someone skilled with a bull float to get it flat.  

• Like 1

Used it quite a few times now. Brilliant stuff does self level to an extent but needs skilled bloke to get spot on. Never had to latex a floor done with it yet. Tarmac have binned all their reps round here. I've got a 9m3 pour next week using a competitors product. Paying an ex tarmac rep 35 per cu to lay with me. 

We used it for our floor using a pump. Went in quickly and not a huge amount of effort to level. There were a couple of low patches but fairly minimal. The concrete went off quite quickly and cracked before we were able to make cuts. It's all cracked pretty much where we were putting in the cuts. 

11 hours ago, bassanclan said:

Yes I used agilia.

It was about 25% more than normal concrete, plus it has to be pumped where you might barrow etc.

The area rep will come and spray the activator and tamp down on the first time you order, but will expect you to do it on subsequent orderings/jobs.

For large expanses you need to cut in breaks the next day to stop cracks.

If you are tiling then you need to remove the laitance. I would advise doing it in the first couple of weeks, otherwise it is difficult to get off as it sets too hard

remove the laitance?

Just rang Tarmac and they said i needed curing agent and something else and then he said hed have to get someone to lay it for me?! - im trying to save money, not pay people to do what i can do. And i cant even find a local supplier for Agilia so ill just use normal readymix on site

With this kind of concrete you spray a curing agent over the concrete once poured, it's in a backpack type sprayer.

Tarmac should offer site service where the local rep shows you how to tamp the concrete and spray the curing agent.

The laitance is a creamy/oily firm that develops on the top surface which prevents tiles etc sticking to the surface so you need to remove it, but it's no issue if you are carpeting the floor.

13 hours ago, gwebstech said:

Hi

my BI said he used Agilia on a project and as it flows so well its a lot easier to use - anyone have experience of it?

ive also no idea of cost compared to concrete mixed on site

thanks

Tarmac's Topflow was almost going to be used here however it suffers badly from surface latency, due to the high flowability of the product it leaves cement and fines near the top with a high % of water, this stuff will be weak and will dry like a surface layer of digestive biscuits. As it has more water and liquid chemical additives to give it strength in the first place (as too much water is the Achilles heel of concrete) then you end up with this issue, Tarmac rep who was here said it's great to slam in-between your foundation block work, then whip up a timber kit soon after but it cannot be a wearing surface and should ideally be covered up fairly soon. He didn't recommend it for my project but we did cost it then are there and the cost was only about £75.00 more per wagon.

He commented that Cala just pour it using normal labourers with no concrete finishing experience it self flows and levels they rake it it about a bit, then use the tamper to swish it about then walk away. 24hrs later they can be erecting a TF - which he didn't recommend but says they do get away with it. 

Edited by Carrerahill

1 hour ago, gwebstech said:

I'm trying to save money, not pay people to do what i can do.

- I don't mean this to sound the way it will, but here goes. -

Can you though? If you have concreting experience then fair enough, but I suspect given the questions you are not, concrete isn't "difficult" but it has lots skills and experience required to work it properly, 100's of tips and tricks required to get it right, I have respect for a good concrete crew, they know their game, they know how to work the product and they know the time constraints. Concreting isn't something you just grab a barrow and toss in a form, founds maybe, but slabs and things take some skill. 

So you may try and save money here and totally regret it. I paid people to do my slab, there were 5 of them, they made it look easy and not one of them was stood doing nothing all morning, these boys hustled, I was thinking of doing it myself and getting in my dad + a friend - so three novices - what a joke that would have been. I'd have cried. I know I did the right thing.

I have a crew on site just now doing the dry dash. I was going to do it myself, I can do it, however, there are 2-3 of them, been at it for over a week now - how many weekends and hard effort would that have been for me! Nah. Got to be wise sometimes. 

Edited by Carrerahill

I don't know about Top flow,  but Agilia is liquid concrete. The texture is like single cream, it self levels and doesn't require  labour to finish it.

You wade around through the concrete with a concrete tamper around 4ft wide gently agitating the surface to bring out any bubbles, then spray it with the activator.

To compare prices you need to look at the real cost alternatives:

Agilia:

Concrete cost e.g. £105 +vat per cube

Pump (I paid £400 cash)

2 hours of my own labour when laying

Angle grind breaks in concrete 30 mins labour

Hire machine to remove laitance £100 and a day of my labour

Normal concrete:

Concrete e.g. £85 per cube

Pump may or may not be needed, but otherwise you might need to allow for waiting time if you are barrowing the concrete

Labour you need experienced labour to tamp it and then powerfloat it or your end up having to have screed as well.

For me the I figured the extra cost of 8 cube was worth while

• 2 years later...

Hi all. I'm looking at using a similar SCC concrete product to the Agila - Cemex evolution floor for my garage structural slab (jablite beam and EPS blocks with A142 mesh).

Only sticking point im having is curing agent, any recommendations for what to use on slabs? Confused as prices range from £40 to £350 per 25ltrs !

thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Sometimes in garages it is good practice to lay the concrete to a fall towards the door in case of fuel spills.  This won't work with the self level stuff.

Cheers for the heads up. Given the size of the building (8x10m) we decided at design phase to set a level floor but have 2 sump drains at midpoint to deal with any notable spillages. With that in mind it isn't a concern.