Wow !..........so much to learn and so little time !

Canoehq

I think you need to re-envision your front view.

Rather than thinking a glass fronted cave, try taking inspiration from what the contents used to be and perhaps block out sections to reflect that rather than an open building.

You could even do an open bit in the middle to reflect a different type of barn door.

What about:

1 - Think about the texture of a stored haystack and having a section with a smaller-squared criss-cross type texture.

2 - Block out a couple of entire sections with wall, perhaps with tiny windows inserted.

3 - If you have some entirely open sections, why not have a row of wide shallow vents just below eaves level at the back - to give excellent purge ventilation.

I think that a combination of whole sections if wall, in addition to 'windows', will read better - the barn use would be structured that way when it was a barn.

I think there is potential advantage in a big water feature (reflecting pool) across a large chunk of the front - either at ground level or sit-on-wall level. If you so chose, you could run under slab cooling into that.

Ferdinand

On 22/09/2019 at 23:01, Temp said:

Even if you can't avoid the CIL using the self build exemption it should only be payable on any increase in floor area. If the converted dwelling has a floor area over 100sqm (very likely) the CIL is payable on any increase in floor area over that which currently exists. Eg on a garage or extension.

I'm not sure how they count an extra floor. Eg If you add a floor in a tall barn does that double the floor area for the purposes of the CIL calculation?

Edit: It seems it does according to..

https://clarenasharchitecture.co.uk/community-infrastructure-levy-means-self-builders-barn-conversions/

Thanks for all of that advice, very useful here. CIL Grrr!  Mezanine would be a calcuable factor by the looks of things.  I'll plug on andf take my local auhtority to task and see what they have to say.

Edited by Nickfromwales

4 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Find yourself Series 9 Ep 6 of Grand Designs, and it is a build in this form. Round roofed barn conversion near Marlborough. There will be some ideas that transfer.

F

Will, do that would be most interesting to watch and perhaps inspiring given the daunting prospect I might be facing. ?

Edited by stevemac

3 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I think you need to re-envision your front view.

Rather than thinking a glass fronted cave, try taking inspiration from what the contents used to be and perhaps block out sections to reflect that rather than an open building.

You could even do an open bit in the middle to reflect a different type of barn door.

What about:

1 - Think about the texture of a stored haystack and having a section with a smaller-squared criss-cross type texture.

2 - Block out a couple of entire sections with wall, perhaps with tiny windows inserted.

3 - If you have some entirely open sections, why not have a row of wide shallow vents just below eaves level at the back - to give excellent purge ventilation.

I think that a combination of whole sections if wall, in addition to 'windows', will read better - the barn use would be structured that way when it was a barn.

I think there is potential advantage in a big water feature (reflecting pool) across a large chunk of the front - either at ground level or sit-on-wall level. If you so chose, you could run under slab cooling into that.

Ferdinand

All good stuff, I'm copying all of this to word doc's in my barn folder.

On 22/09/2019 at 09:24, Canoehq said:

Is/was being built under a Class Q Prior Approval conversion planning application, so the entire build needs to stay within the footprint of the original barn.  I'm not even allowed to remove the original old steel stanchions etc. and have to design around them.  Planning permission is for a conversion, so It seems if I take down the old building, it becomes a 'new build' which isn't allowed !!

Yes, the glass is a worry and no, not deep pockets, so cheaper glass with solar film or external shutters I guess.  Whatever stops the heat getting in, unless forumites have some better ideas before the first spade goes into the ground, as still time to replan !

Here's what it look like now;

image.png.798e0e34142ee5d4cfe8c1b8906e500d.png

How much land and at what cost for the lot? You can PM me if you feel comfortable to be able to tell me. I would not be offended in any way if you chose not to disclose. I know that location makes a lot of difference, Its just for the green pile I have enclosed here, I'm seeking prior approval with a view to making an offer for it. I have no idea as I don't tend to undertake these projects that often. ?

I worked out a rough square metre2  for the plot and coverted to acres, its about  0.9