Wow !..........so much to learn and so little time !

Canoehq

Just now, Canoehq said:

@JSHarris  Again, that all makes perfect sense.  Thank you.

@Bitpipe  I shall certainly have a look at those blinds, but agree, the internal venetians are not what I'm after i think.

Here's their website - https://www.roma.eu/products

Mine came preinstalled to the windows which made them trivial to install - just needed to ensure the timber frame had the necessary recess - mine are manually activated by a rocker switch next to the light switches - they are 240v. 

I know @jack had a nightmare with his blinds as they were post installed and the crew were not great, i think his may be integrated into his Loxone control system.

Any way best to consider them together with your window selection process.

I think Jeremy is right about looking at alternatives to the curtain glass look - we have some great horizontal and vertical slot windows about 2m x 60cm and they are a real feature,

Is it not an option to go back to planning and see if you done a redesign and changed some of the glass sections to something like dark grey/black corrugated cement board. These sections will be much cheaper and will still keep the barn look that they want. Otherwise your going to be living in a greenhouse in the  months when the sun is low in the sky.

51 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

We have external motorised blinds (Roma, venetian style) to windows at the front of our house

Any chance of a picture of them.

I want external sound, wind, rain and light proofing blinds as my house faces the SW, so gets all the Atlantic weather.

And I have a neighbour that sometimes goes to work at 3AM.

Excellent and good luck. These buildings when converted sympathetically are one of the best applications of this sort of work. Unlike brick and masonry, they will rust away and their pleasing shapes will be lost forever from our landscapes eventually.  Amongst the various projects that I am condidering is a similar structure. I say considering because of the open ended and potentially expensive reports that will have to be compiled, and then there is the CIL to pay of course. All of this cost and the potential for no time constraints for some of the surveys is a bit off putting.

The other issue is the sheer size of this barn. Otheriwse my plan mirrors yours, though I have not sought prior approval yet, though the barn has it's own dedicated and very private drive, electricity and water.  We would retain the green paintwork and the existing shape completly.

Well done, brilliant project!

Steve.

IMG_20190720_111319-20.jpg

IMG_20190720_111348-20.jpg

IMG_20190720_111646-20.jpg

IMG_20190720_111726-20.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevemac said:

I suppose a call to Malvern Hills might settle the matter. Are you saying that some councils try to apply rules that they should not?

Some councils have indeed tried to do that. 

17 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

this was a newbuild in the local area. https://kirstymaguire.com/portfolio/hayshed-passivhaus-farmhouse/ it was designed to blend with local farm buildings.

Looks great. How can they say there is no heating system though when they have a wood burning stove installed? 

5 hours ago, newhome said:

Some councils can try to apply different rules for conversions. @Temp @PeterW any thoughts? 

I asked my MP to find out if the exemption for self builders was intended to include conversions. I'm afraid the answer i got was vague. However see this case that almost went to court. If the council refuses an application for an exemption I would send them info on this case and ask them to reconsider.

• Like 1

Even if you can't avoid the CIL using the self build exemption it should only be payable on any increase in floor area. If the converted dwelling has a floor area over 100sqm (very likely) the CIL is payable on any increase in floor area over that which currently exists. Eg on a garage or extension.

I'm not sure how they count an extra floor. Eg If you add a floor in a tall barn does that double the floor area for the purposes of the CIL calculation?

Edit: It seems it does according to..

https://clarenasharchitecture.co.uk/community-infrastructure-levy-means-self-builders-barn-conversions/

Please note; this charge only applies if you are creating new-build floor space such as a new-build dwelling or a large home extension (over 100m2). This can also be a mezzanine level in a barn conversion. 

Edited by Temp

16 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Any chance of a picture of them.

I want external sound, wind, rain and light proofing blinds as my house faces the SW, so gets all the Atlantic weather.

And I have a neighbour that sometimes goes to work at 3AM.

Blinds will not give you sound proofing, that’s the windows job. These do a a good job of stopping light but for 100% blackout I’d suggest the screen version, although it’s either up or down.

This is the blind from either side just now ...

C21EDFAC-9733-4245-9F25-68CDC824E3AF.jpeg

2A113ED8-2AE4-4B33-A86D-A9D2803BDA94.jpeg

On 22/09/2019 at 11:10, Canoehq said:

PV may be a good plan indeed, but it can't be roof mounted, as feel sure the planners would not allow.........and it's a round rook also, so may look a bit odd !

Have enough land at the bottom of the garden to install there though and in the middle of what was going to be a conservation wild meadow, bees etc.

We've just done one in an AONB and Conservation, and flew through with planning first time around.

8kW and currently has produced 3.5mW in less than 4 months.

IMG-1497.jpg.a29fec95057d767043dbbf59830b88c0.jpgIMG-1498.jpg.31aa0488b5c7044391b8e59083f431cd.jpgIMG-1499.jpg.19e507d10bcfcae1fd1187762170587e.jpg

No need to have the horrible frames on show. These were mounted in ballast filled 'pods' mounted at an inclination / orientation to maximise production. Client intends to let the shrubbery grow around them but to manage it with regular 'hair cuts' :) 

Just had a friend around, the chap that's done a lot of work on our landscaping, drive etc.  He's just got class Q consent to convert his barn, that's similar to the one in this thread.  He's just at the stage of putting in foundations, so I'll see if I can find out more about how he's gone about things.  He did mention that he's already had a difference of opinion with an architect over the design, though...