Building Timber doors from scratch

Cpd

I remember starting a post on the doors I am building from scratch but it was along time ago and I can’t seem to find it.....anyway I have now finished all three and am very happy with the result. All three are stable doors and all three are in the original placement. The building is a very old threshing shed. With two doors opposite each other (front and back) for separating the wheat from the chaff as the wind blew through, the other door at the front on the left is probably where the animals were kept. Still got a lot of work to do on the building but it’s one step closer.  I will post some close up of the details tomorrow when the bits are not in shade. They all have at least two sets of weather seals and are incredibly solid. They face directly south west into the oncoming storms that roll in of the sea that is only 200 meters away. They took far to long to build but it was great fun and I have learnt a lot.  Just another two to build  on the other house now....... 

2AA28CAF-C6A5-4A26-92B1-01352D4C16BA.jpeg

0965FA01-D740-4F91-AE22-39D61A9F8BF2.jpeg

003B164B-1EDB-4121-98AA-D85321273542.jpeg

E3848775-AF4D-42DA-981D-C557AA35830D.jpeg

CC6F442C-AD35-4771-B25A-54567BE838FD.jpeg

D140165F-F9E1-40A8-86A2-CB8967057534.jpeg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

love the 3D mural.

It’s an ever increasing collection for a an art installation I want to do..... the idea is to build a bridge between two rocky outcrops just behind and to the left of the building, a track leads under the - to be built bridge - and out of the property, another track goes over the bridge and through another aspect of the garden. I have the girders....320x320mmx 20mm steel at >6m and am gathering a collection of old cart axles for the main uprights.... it will be a VERY solid installation but will also be dripping with rust and slowly falling apart (not the structure), always to be added to as new and exciting bits are found ! Just a bit of fun really.  Bad photo of where the bridge will go across... sun is setting. 

FCC9321F-082A-478A-9C42-5C09158022F8.jpeg

05F4D746-03A4-47AD-AFC8-B476A56D946A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Cpd said:

[...]

took far too long to build but it was great fun and I have learnt a lot. 

[...]

Now there's an almost universal truth, well understood, recognised and highly valued especially here on BH. That learning process  almost always contains pain of some sort.  Turning most of that stress into  ' ... great fun ...' is the key  trick. I'm getting there. Just.

Readers can't see your stress or the effort you had to put in, but we can savour the  romance  conjured by the images. Years from now nobody (except you) will remember  the broken finger nails , the timber cut 10 mm too short, the annoying delivery driver, the infuriating '' professional ". 

But everyone will look at your house and smile. You can be really proud of your achievement.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

I see you tie your bow spring line to your front door eh?  Good idea.

The higher the wind, the louder the knock innit? Tops!

Haha, I found these in the Homebase at Inverness when it was closing for less than  £1 could not resist it as it reminded me of the rings at the ferry slip where we tie up to, just another bit of fun, makes me smile when I look at it. The wood handle is made from a whiskey barrel stave. The door knob was another Homebase giveaway. As always I do it for my own personal fun and if others find it nice then that’s great.