Two dishwashers?

Ferdinand

20 minutes ago, ProDave said:

We must be unusual then.

Yes we load the dishwasher and when it's full it goes on, usually every other day.

BUT I always have a bowl full of stuff to wash every night. Stuff that can't go in the dishwasher like the aluminium coffee pot, the wooden chopping boards and wooden spoons, the stainless steel flask (too tall)  Some delicate glassware sometimes.  Plus you need a bowl of hot soapy water every night to wipe the hob and all the worktops etc.

I would be interested in those who "never wash up" how you cope with those.

Washing up bowl? Ewwwwww... only hand wash under running water otherwise you may as well wash them in the bog.

We cope by having less of that awkward stuff. Plastic chopping boards go in the washer, wooden ones get a wipe, don’t need a wash etc.

21 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I would be interested in those who "never wash up" how you cope with those.

Simples, it all goes in the dishwasher! ? Anything that really isn’t dishwasher friendly such as a flask is washed under running hot water but I don’t use stuff like that every day anyway. For surfaces, I use a spray and a damp cloth. I don’t need a bowl of water for that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Unless your other half has bought vintage crockery that will not go in the dishwasher ?.

In that case they’re too special to use and should be put away, only for use on special occasions ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, daiking said:

In that case they’re too special to use and should be put away, only for use on special occasions ?

I have stuff like that in boxes. Never sees the light of day! Haven’t unpacked it since I moved here 10 years ago! ?

1 hour ago, newhome said:

I have stuff like that in boxes. Never sees the light of day! Haven’t unpacked it since I moved here 10 years ago! ?

I am currently working through the crocks my parents had for their wedding in 196x, and the batch I bought for University. Made the sensible decision to instruct everyone what they wanted, and ended up with about 20 of everything.

My nice knives do *not* go in the dishwasher. Anybody who does put them in had better watch out.

The 40 or 50 small tupperware jobbies used for batch making kale-mushrooms, porridge, and Complan (especially the Complan which turns into chocolate coloured plaster of Paris) most definitely go in the dishwasher.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

49 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

When people wash dishes by hand, how much water do you put in the sink and do you rinse stuff?

You do what my mother does and fill up a bowl in one sink to wash glasses first, then crockery and then pans. Then in sink 2 you run hot water through the tap constantly to hold each item under to rinse it. Why you wouldn’t just load the dishwasher up that’s sitting there idle? Clearly the hand wash method isn’t saving time or energy! 

9 hours ago, Grendel said:

psssst....whats a Kale-mushroom?

I do cubed or sliced mushrooms in a wok to half cooked stage, then put a layer in the bottom of a Tupperware mini container with a layer of curly kale on top. Kale may be slightly cooked itself.

Then do say 10 or 12 of them and freeze. Heat up in the microwave on say 30-50% power whilst doing toast and poaching egg, and it can be turned out onto the slice of toast and the poached egg put on top as a filling but lowish carb / cal breakfast with some veg included. The juice left by the mushrooms goes into all sorts of sauces and gravies to add flavour if you like to keep your toast crispy.

Goes well with say half a dozen mini tomatoes or kipper or whole / flaked mackerel or even smoked salmon.

Anything less robust than kale eg spinach tends to turn into green goo by the freezing and reheating process.

Will look for a pic.

It is a variation on a recipe Salmon and Eggs out of a book called Very Low Calorie Recipes and Meal Plans, from the people who do the Carbs and Cals App For slimmers and diabetics.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbs-Cals-Calorie-Recipes-Plans/

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 21/09/2019 at 16:17, vivienz said:

My old dishwasher and the one in the new house both have very shallow drawers at the top specifically for cutlery and do away with the need for a basket in the main internal area. Far more efficient use of space . 

This is the setup on my new Bosch which was a Which Best Buy and quite expensive. I think it’s really clever. SWMBO hates it. She says it’s much more fiddly to fill and it reduces the height available for glasses. Funny how two people can disagree so strongly on something so mundane.

I basically rearrange our dishwasher every day, we get around 50% more in when I pack it. My wife does the emptying.

We have the drawer at the top which is far better. It does limit you if you put wine glasses in the top but we don't drink. Some people don't seem to realise that you can still get quite thick items in it, all of our cooking utensils go in there except ladels.

Bosch/Siemens do an XXL version of this dishwasher which is around 5cm taller. It is great, we had one in our last house, but the kitchen people said it wouldn't fit due to the rail for our handleless doors limiting the height slightly under the cabinets. I actually think they were wrong.

14 minutes ago, AliG said:

does limit you if you put wine glasses in the top but we don't drink

You can get wine glasses for a quid each at Wilco.

Assuming @Adsibob don't drink Coop 3 quid bottles, and a washing machine costs 600 quid fitted. Cheaper to just throw the glasses away.

Or just become teetotal. Makes the journey home cheaper, not been in a taxi since I left hospital with a broken pelvis. Thankfully I had had a swig of morphine to improve the journey.