Two dishwashers?

Ferdinand

Anyone know where plain dishwasher racks can be purchased, just the sliding grill bit, with no plate racks, supports or anything else?

I can find plenty of universal glass holders, cutlery holders, etc that can just slot to a dishwasher rack, but ideally I'd like to try and make a couple of customised racks that suit our needs, and can be reconfigured by just slotting different racks, holders etc in.  If push comes to show I'll just buy some stainless rod and try and make some custom racks that the various universal ancillaries will fit, but it would be easier to buy some.

Ideally I just want two flat racks, with nothing poking up.  The top rack will have to have the fitting for the upper rotating spray bar, but that seems to just clip on, so it's just a matter of making sure that there are some rack bars in the right place.  Fitting the guide rollers looks easy enough to, as again they just seem to clip on to the wires.

I reckon the option to just have a fairly large flat area in either rack would be a real advantage, as at the moment I find is a PITA trying to balance pans etc on top of the sticky-up bits intended to hold plates (some of those sticky-up bits are already bent from balancing heavy pans on them).

17 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Anyone know where plain dishwasher racks can be purchased, just the sliding grill bit, with no plate racks, supports or anything else?

I can find plenty of universal glass holders, cutlery holders, etc that can just slot to a dishwasher rack, but ideally I'd like to try and make a couple of customised racks that suit our needs, and can be reconfigured by just slotting different racks, holders etc in.  If push comes to show I'll just buy some stainless rod and try and make some custom racks that the various universal ancillaries will fit, but it would be easier to buy some.

Ideally I just want two flat racks, with nothing poking up.  The top rack will have to have the fitting for the upper rotating spray bar, but that seems to just clip on, so it's just a matter of making sure that there are some rack bars in the right place.  Fitting the guide rollers looks easy enough to, as again they just seem to clip on to the wires.

I reckon the option to just have a fairly large flat area in either rack would be a real advantage, as at the moment I find is a PITA trying to balance pans etc on top of the sticky-up bits intended to hold plates (some of those sticky-up bits are already bent from balancing heavy pans on them).

How large are your pans? Our AEG dishwasher has "closeable" bits at the rear and this has been enough for all pans we have and say a food recycling caddy.

Edited to add: not at the same time! 

And at the top the front part can be flattened similarly, allowing us to fit large glass trays. 

Edited by oldkettle

1 minute ago, oldkettle said:

How large are your pans? Our AEG dishwasher has "closeable" bits at the rear and this has been enough for all pans we have and say a food recycling caddy. And at the top the front part can be flattened similarly, allowing us to fit large glass trays. 

Unfortunately some are quite large.  SWMBO has a set of these:

image.png.b3ac83c9a6262fc1aa6ab0ee3fedf302.png

Plus some like this:

image.png.f8869f0ceac53d713f97a333f8c2dc7f.png

And they are both heavy and awkward to get to fit.  The dishwasher is a built-in Zanussi, purchased because we had a Zanussi standalone one that was dead reliable.  Unfortunately, we didn't notice that the racks in the built-in one are different, plus SWMBO treated herself to loads of new cookware when we moved...

3 minutes ago, Dan Feist said:

Hi,

Rather that 2 full-sized dishwashers, has anyone got/used a double drawer dishwasher?  It takes up the space of a single dishwasher, but has two drawers that can be stacked/washed seperatly...

image.thumb.png.fef15af9c034c5a514d21e80b043f758.png

Love the look of that one, seems a very practical design.  It neatly gets around the nuisance of the hinge down door with the lower rack that slides over it (and which inevitably seems to end up with drips running down the edges).

29 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Lab glasswashers come with flat trays that you then add accessory baskets to. Anyone with a Miele could certainly look at G or PG range accessories if you wanted a plain tray instead of a plate rack...

Thanks, I'll have a look around and see if there are spares available that are about the right size.  Might be easier to adapt a rack that's more or less the right size than start from scratch and make new racks. I could probably get away with just replacing the lower rack, I think, as that's the one that is a rather daft design.  SWMBO has just reminded me that the reason we didn't have this problem with the old stand-alone dishwasher was because the sticky-up bits in that, for supporting plates, used to fold down flat in sections.  I've no idea why they didn't do the same with the built-n version of what is a very similar dishwasher.  Makes me wonder whether the lower rack from the stand-alone model would fit the built-in one.  Might have a wander around Curry's or somewhere, armed with a tape measure to find out.

15 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

SWMBO has just reminded me that the reason we didn't have this problem with the old stand-alone dishwasher was because the sticky-up bits in that, for supporting plates, used to fold down flat in sections.  

Yep, that's exactly what every dishwasher I saw had had. 

We have a very similar set, but by Anolon. Didn't ever think of putting those in a dishwasher as too easy to clean and too expensive to replace ? But with the folding down any of these would fit. 

7 minutes ago, oldkettle said:

Yep, that's exactly what every dishwasher I saw had had. 

We have a very similar set, but by Anolon. Didn't ever think of putting those in a dishwasher as too easy to clean and too expensive to replace ? But with the folding down any of these would fit. 

I wonder why they decided not to make the racks fold down on the model we have?  Seems a retrograde step, perhaps induced by some penny-pincher who found that they could save a bit on the production cost if they removed the folding bits.  I wish we'd noticed this before buying the thing, although as we bought it online, the chances are we'd not have spotted that these racks don't fold down.

Small commercial dishwashers have more sensible arrangements.

The place where I volunteer has things like those plastic square bread trays that are used for deliveries to shops.

And they just lift out once the drying cycle is done and sit on the worktop.

eg https://adexa.co.uk/Dishwashers-Glasswashers-18/Dishwasher-Racks-62

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

4 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Same here!  Just glad there was an option to turn the clocks off.

Jeremy, you’ve slipped in my estimation. I was sure you had a leftover ex military atomic clock in the shed that you used to synchronise the clocks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Jeremy, you’ve slipped in my estimation. I was sure you had a leftover ex military atomic clock in the shed that you used to synchronise the clocks.

Funny old thing, but the master time display in the hall, along with stuff like the outside air temperature, humidity, CO2 concentration etc is, in effect, an atomic clock.  I have a GPS receiver sat up in the services room that is used solely to provide an accurate time reference for the house data measurement and logging system.  The clocks that provide this signal from the GPS satellites are Rubidium or Caesium atomic clocks, so in effect we are working to an atomic time standard for some stuff, but I cant get the clock on the cooker to sync to this...

8 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I cant get the clock on the cooker to sync to this...

Can your window film bloke supply you with a 10 sq cm sample of the opaque version? Out of sight...

8 hours ago, Sue B said:

SHOCKING!

Emoticon required of lacrimose crocodilian ?.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Similar problem here. It was a mistake to go with the cheap, current offer on, Neff integrated washer when we bought it. A dishwasher is just a dishwasher, right? Wrong.

we've got very poor rack options, nothing folds down and not a proper cutlery rack. Will take more care and spend more when it’s replaced. However, get the feeling this b*****d will outlive the kitchen to spite me.

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Iniemann said:

In our present home, we are not on a water meter but decided to get rid of our dishwasher when doing a kitchen refit. There are only two of us at home now so we decided to use the space for an extra cupboard and to hand-wash the dishes.
We are hoping to move into an apartment soon which has a water meter and includes a dishwasher built into the kitchen.
We have just been speculating whether it will be more economical to continue to handwash after every meal or to use the dishwasher every few days.
Which do folks think is the more economical?

The difference will be pennies per load. You use way, way more water flushing your toilet. No doubt that handwashing uses less energy and water than handwashing. Then again, do you handwash your clothes?

11 minutes ago, Iniemann said:

We have just been speculating whether it will be more economical to continue to handwash after every meal or to use the dishwasher every few days.
Which do folks think is the more economical?

We haven't hand washed any dishes or anything for years. Unless you've only got two plates put them in the dishwasher and when it's full switch it on, much more economical.

I agree with @PeterStarck.  I roughly measured the amount of hot water used for a bit of simple hand washing up, and just a couple of plates, pans, cutlery etc after a meal for two was not far off the same as the dishwasher used on its eco cycle.  I reckon we'd easily use more water per day hand washing up than we do using the dishwasher, although I find it hard to get out of the habit of washing a mug after I've used it, rather than stick it in the dishwasher and getting another one out...

We must be unusual then.

Yes we load the dishwasher and when it's full it goes on, usually every other day.

BUT I always have a bowl full of stuff to wash every night. Stuff that can't go in the dishwasher like the aluminium coffee pot, the wooden chopping boards and wooden spoons, the stainless steel flask (too tall)  Some delicate glassware sometimes.  Plus you need a bowl of hot soapy water every night to wipe the hob and all the worktops etc.

I would be interested in those who "never wash up" how you cope with those.