Two dishwashers?

Ferdinand

46 minutes ago, Sue B said:

Ioving the idea of a raised dishwasher to save all that bending but worry about the appliances above it in that picture - steam would be a concern to me.

I don't think it has to be another appliance an top, although probably makes sense from the point of view of being close to a work surface. 

Do you mean steam from the dishwasher or from the oven? 

16 hours ago, AliG said:

We have two. First time we have had two and it is great.

Particularly good if you have a party or a big meal with lots of pots, pans and bowls.

I would also recommend an extra tall dishwasher. We had one in the last house, but not this time as we didn't have the height in a handleless kitchen. Siemens do an 86.5cm tall dishwasher and it is much easier to load than a standard height dishwasher. Siemens SX736X03ME for example or Neff S723M60X1G.

I would also look for a sink big enough to take a full oven sheet/shelf. These do not clean well in a dishwasher and if your sink isn't wide enough then you cannot easily steep them in hot water.

Miele has had a large dishwasher for ages in their range and they recommend installlation only in kitchens with plinths 100mm or lower.

Siemens/Neff/Bosch brought theirs out aboout 7 years ago with a sliding hinge mechanism to allow their tall dishwasher to go into 'normal' kitchens. I am not sold on the hinge sliding mechanism. We have had some issues with these clips failling if the drilling is as much as 1 mm out on the door.  Please keep an eye on your sliding mechanism. Failure results in the decor door just falling off and getting dented/damaged and needing replacement.

• Like 1

We don’t have them anymore as our handless kitchen did not have enough clearance under the rail below the counter for the dishwasher. Tbh I wish I had raised the counter slightly as I liked it so much.

I am not sure if we had the sliding hinge in the last house as it appeared that the height of the door meant they had to notch the top of the plinth below the dishwasher.

Bring able to get extra large plates and pots on the bottom shelf whilst still getting tall glasses on the top shelf made loading it so much more straight forward. 

7 hours ago, oldkettle said:

Does anybody have a dishwasher installed in an elevated position? My sister has one and it seems a great idea, the only problem is it will inevitably be some way away from the sink, and the second dishwasher would be even further. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwOHXiAldWM_TCXPI6EzJ

This looks like an interesting idea. Maybe for someone older.

However, the microwave controls are at the same height as the top of the door which would be over 2m. Taking hot liquids from above eye level would seem to be a very unsafe piece of design.

9 hours ago, oldkettle said:

Does anybody have a dishwasher installed in an elevated position? My sister has one and it seems a great idea, the only problem is it will inevitably be some way away from the sink, and the second dishwasher would be even further. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwOHXiAldWM_TCXPI6EzJ

problem for wheelchair users, perhaps.

1 hour ago, AliG said:

However, the microwave controls are at the same height as the top of the door which would be over 2m. Taking hot liquids from above eye level would seem to be a very unsafe piece of design.

This is just a picture I found on the net to illustrate the idea. I'd certainly not install the third level microwave ?

30 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

problem for wheelchair users, perhaps.

First I thought you were right, but then I am not sure how wheelchair users can work around the lower door either. It may actually be easier to reach something that is closer to the seat level rather than on the floor? 

18 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Not so sure about that F. 

But, you've made me think.

Depends on the person and the wheelchair.

My mum is currently 4'10" and shrinking, and for the last few days in a wheelchair. She cannot reach the back of a normal worktop.

On the dishwasher, she can pull the tray out, and then reach the crocks from the side on our normal ground level full size dishwasher.

Given that you are 30% taller, it is an interesting line to walk. How tall is your management?

1 hour ago, daiking said:

Lucky b*****d

Yes, but it does take a good hour to move a scaffold tower 8 inches along the wall.  10 minute job with two people.

But you do get to do all the cooking, cleaning, washing, driving, shopping, etc on your own.

And when you go away, you pay extra, so demand double the meals.

58 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Yes, but it does take a good hour to move a scaffold tower 8 inches along the wall.  10 minute job with two people.

But you do get to do all the cooking, cleaning, washing, driving, shopping, etc on your own.

And when you go away, you pay extra, so demand double the meals.

There are these things calls wheels...

On 21/09/2019 at 18:03, Bitpipe said:

And there was me thinking four ovens was the last word in appliance overload (to be fair we only really needed three but couldn't decide what to put in the empty spot.

We run our DW more or less every day, I set the timer to have it come on first thing when sun is up and electricity is free (our PV faces south east) and it's ready to empty when we get up.

Ours is a NEFF and also has a slim cutlery tray at the top, great design and you can get a surprising amount in.

I have biscuits and crisps where the other oven used to be.

10 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I have biscuits and crisps where the other oven used to be.

A tale of four ovens.

• Oven one is a combo microwave and oven. Used lots, reasonably filthy.
  • Oven two is a full size oven with a hide & slide door (blame Bakeoff for that). Used for most general cooking & baking, moderately filthy.
  • Oven three is a steam oven (although it turns out ovens two and four are also steam ovens, who knew). Mostly (i.e. only) used for steaming broccoli for roast dinner (about once / twice a month outside of summer. Quite clean but has a definite whiff of broccoli.
  • Oven four is the 'good' oven' and is a carbon copy of oven two. It was supposed to be the 'super oven' for baking but the original oven two was discontinued and we got a fee upgrade so use that instead. Beyond heating plates at Christmas,  I'm not sure it has really been used and it mostly contains all the spare trays and shelves from ovens 1-3, pristine.

Admittedly they look smart in their 2x2 formation even if I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to get all their clock displays synched.

• Haha 4