Membrane help

jamieled

I've used tyvek housewrap on my frame. The joiner reckons it's usual to use something different on the roof. I'd tend to agree but only as I haven't seen any frames near us using the same stuff on the roofs and the walls.

Should I be using something different on the roof, and if so what are the main differences between main house membrane and roofing membrane?

11 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

From my understanding with a lot of roofing membranes the problem is when they get fitted in frosty conditions.

This is very true and I used roofsheild and then it got wet and froze, completely destroyed the waterproof quality’s of the product....... 

I have a similar question to @jamieled:

I've used TF200 on my walls (and around my window reveals). It's stood up nicely to long exposure, about 18 months for the oldest bits. Ideally, I'd like to use it to replace the failed stuff on my that failed when it got wet and froze. I can't see the point of a membrane which can't stand freezing when it's wet - the most likely conditions for a roof failure which results in water getting on to the membrane are freezing conditions resulting in ice damming or other such problems. Apart from anything else, TF200 is shiny which will improve the insulation qualities of the roof a bit.

But TF200 isn't certified for roofs. Any idea why?

Yes that’s correct but what would happen If you had a leak and water was tracking down the membrane and then froze, unbeknown to you, then after it thaws that section of membrane would not be waterproof and would then let water in next time it rained. It’s a bloody nuisance as I got caught out twice by freezing water ruining my membrane on the roof.  

• Like 1

I phoned SIGA and they sent a rep to my site, he was in a van filled with more fancy stuff than you could shake a stick at. 

He was very happy to demonstrate the sticking abilities of his tapes by applying them to our esp blocks and challenging me to pull them off. 

Not cheap, but do you want cheap, I would rather spend my money on good base materials than a wall hung toilet. 

My roof membrane has just cost me a little over £1500 plus vat, plus £120 in tape to seal the laps. I hope it was money well spent. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Not cheap, but do you want cheap, I would rather spend my money on good base materials than a wall hung toilet.

Give over. We all know you gonna have excellent base materials AND a wall hung toilet ?

To topic: SIGA=Worldclass materials