Built my first ever cabinet

H F

Our consumer unit is located in the hallway. The previous owners had never attempted to hide it, and it looked unsightly so we decided to build a cabinet to conceal it.

This is my first ever cabinet, built from scratch. Very pleased with the outcome. 

67582D93-08CB-4E76-B826-5BB2B91495E7.jpeg

2548C01C-6777-4ED4-85D3-F02694FCDFCF.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

Well done, looks very professional, there is a great deal of self satisfaction in DIY which is why I love building stuff myself, what’s next?

Thanks Joe - don't know what to tackle next. It'll probably something to do with wood, and hopefully I can pick up a well-priced used mitre saw.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Home Farm said:

Thanks Joe - don't know what to tackle next. It'll probably something to do with wood, and hopefully I can pick up a well-priced used mitre saw.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-47611086

or

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Edited by Ferdinand

9 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Can you get the front of the consumer unit off without removing the cupboard?

Yes we can - that's why we went with the large door, and there's loads of room to work in there if you had to. We've also completed all the major consumer unit work (ASHP, solar, etc,) so there shouldn't be any major work going forward - touch wood.

On 21/09/2019 at 09:54, Dreadnaught said:

How do the hinges on the lefthand side work such that door does not collide with the wall? Or does it hinge upwards?

I measured and tested a lot, and it's amazing that as long as the side panel (where the hinges mount) is the same width as the door it doesn't clip against the wall. That was my main fear, but I inspected our kitchen cabinets and forged ahead, and the door opens perfectly - absolutely no clipping against the wall. Major lesson learnt.

• Thanks 1