Stove Install on Concrete Shelf

Matthias

Hey all, 

Please excuse the very not-to-scale drawing but it gives the idea. We're looking to install a stove like the ones pictured and I'm looking for advice on:

A ) Correct material to use behind the stove. At the moment it's rendered block work that we where going to dot-dab and plaster. But I'm not sure if that would count as a combustible material and so shouldn't be that close to the stove - and even if it is suitable if the paint wont crack from the heat of the stove. What's best practice for a wall behind the stove?

B ) The stove will be on a concrete shelf like the ones pictured. But the floor beneath that will be engineered timber, how much of a gap do we need to leave between the edge of the stove, the plinth and the floor? 

Many thanks, 

Matt

Untitled_Artwork 26.jpg

Things would be easier if you selected a stove that "cannot cause the temperature of the upper surface of the hearth to exceed 100C" (See 2.23a on page 37). In that case the hearth can be a 12mm thick sheet of something non combustible like glass or slate directly on top of a wood floor. Shape and size as per diagram 26b...

1144412500_Diagram26.jpg.3b5fa83a9cb7f6e0da7d1918dbb2f58e.jpg

As for your first question about the walls and separation I think it's the following..

1221291425_Diagram30a.jpg.45cffe3a6352b975cc993c1547faa910.jpg

1411852796_Diagram30b.jpg.8218517fa8ac9c3204eb1e330e3d0730.jpg

Perhaps I should add that the Approved Documents typically illustrate "one way" (actually several ways) of demonstrating compliance with the Building Regulations. If you can convince the BCO that another way is acceptable that's also ok.

Installing a wood burner requires Building Control Approval but there are two ways to do this:

1) DIY the installation and make a Building Control Application (fee payable).

2) Use a Hetas approved Installer who can self certify their work and notify Building Control.

You may also need to notify your house insurance.