What proof can I produce to claim the VAT as  after reading many comments on here about building warranty I am considering not taking this out, am I heading for trouble ?

Also, unless I have missed something there is no CIL covering my area so cannot provide this as proof.

What else can I use

BC sign off is the usual (but some have had an issue where they have moved in well before the cert issued).

If you download the form (below) there are comprehensive notes.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/828064/VAT431NB_form_and_notes.pdf

Has a Building Regulation Completion Certificate been granted by the  local authority or by an approved inspector registered with the local authority building control? You should send the certificate to us with your claim form.  Page 6 VAT431NB 

Notes for new houses If you do not have a Completion Certificate yet, we will accept one of the following documents: • a habitation letter from the local authority (in Scotland, a temporary habitation certificate) • in England and Wales, a VOA: Notice of making a New Entry into the Valuation List • in Northern Ireland, a District Valuer’s Certificate of Valuation • in Scotland, a Joint Valuation Board Notice of Tax Banding, or • a letter from your bank or building society saying ‘This is to certify that the.……Bank/Building Society released on…….(date) the last instalment of its loan secured on the building at.……because it then regarded that building as complete.’ A building is normally considered to be completed when it has been finished according to its original plans. Remember that you can make only one claim no later than 3 months after the construction work is completed. The 3 months will usually run from the date of the document you are using as your completion evidence. If your claim is late you must send us a letter explaining the delay. Tip: Please send the specific evidence that we have asked for. We will  not accept: • annual Council Tax bills • professional certificates • stage certificates • insurance cover notes, and so on. Claims received without completion evidence will be closed and returned.

As above it's generally the completion certificate from building control and HMRC must receive the claim within 3 months of the certificate being issued. A warranty will only help you get a mortgage or resell within 10 years after building the house to someone who needs a mortgage, it won't help with the VAT reclaim.