When to use a single threaded screw and when to use a twin threaded screw

readiescards

42 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I have never heard of studding being screwed

I converted to screws over  nails 7 years ago and have never looked back, even if I’m building a shed or new roof I use screws as they are just so darn strong and if like me your a perfectionist then you have the option of redoing any joint that is not up to muster. Costs more but there is no way I would go back to nailing. I am just doing stuff on my own property so don’t have to worry about the extra cost this would add to a quote on a proper job.  Storage is easy.

3D68B18C-C31E-48DC-BA63-381110840BFE.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cpd said:

I converted to screws over  nails 7 years ago and have never looked back, even if I’m building a shed or new roof I use screws as they are just so darn strong and if like me your a perfectionist then you have the option of redoing any joint that is not up to muster. Costs more but there is no way I would go back to nailing. I am just doing stuff on my own property so don’t have to worry about the extra cost this would add to a quote on a proper job.  Storage is easy.

3D68B18C-C31E-48DC-BA63-381110840BFE.jpeg

In the process of making my tool wall and bench area up in my new garage! Some food for thought there (I love useable workshop and garage photos - always gives me inspiration).

My work bench is directly behind where this photo was taken, it’s an island that is bolted to the floor and had various vices and a pillar drill, if I need a tool I can just turn round and reach for it, I find having stuff on view and close to hand really helps me when undertaking tasks as I forget where stuff is if it’s all boxed away. I do ALL my own work  on a rural property in the middle of nowhere so have to have an extraordinary amount of equipment, this is just one corner of a workshop related to the storage of screws...... 

On 09/10/2016 at 07:57, ToughButterCup said:

Right, Once you've got them, how do you store the sodding things.......? Eh? Answer me that!

Easy, wait until screwfix have the Stanley organizer deals on and buy a couple, got two for the price of one. 
Make sure it's the solid stackable ones that clip together.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-fatmax-deep-pro-organiser-14-x-18/22910

With two you swap the insert trays over, so the bigger bulk stuff is in one and the smaller in the other. 
Trays are deep so the smaller ones get swamped. Can leave screws in smaller boxes, or I bought

few small food containers in Tesco. 
These are clear with plastic lid and cost about a £1 for 5. 
They happily sit on top of the others in the same tray and you double the capacity for small stuff. 

Stanley also do a shallow version, but these almost never get reduced in price and TBH being able to
swap boxes around makes a lot of sense. 

On 26/02/2021 at 18:34, Russell griffiths said:

No. Life is too short it’s not a bloody Chippendale. 

I've heard of people using construction adhesive with a flexible component in order to stop squeaks. That's the only reason I'd consider it. As you say it doesn't have to be pretty, but I really want to avoid squeaks.

I have a supporting wall close to midspan (62%) and all the trusses look to be resting on it well except for one. This one is about 1mm above and deflects down onto the wallplate if I hang my weight from it. In the photo I've slipped a piece of galvanised steel between the two. Is this a good idea or should I do something else?

IMG_20210228_092804.jpg