New Internal Wall

Hi All,

Me and my partner are trying to create an additional division in an open plan area of our house. The property is shared ownership, so even though we don't need planning permission, the lease company wants to see it, so they are sure the work is carried out in accordance with regulations.

Each time we mention building regulations, or even an itemized invoice detailing what's being done, builders run away - They like a single total figure kind of invoice.

So it seems we need to deal with BR on ourselves and we are a bit unsure about how to go on with this. To apply we need an itemized receipt showing the plans. We dealt with an architect that said the builders should do this (they only do the floor plan drawings), but when we mention building regulations, or even an itemized invoice detailing what's being done - builders run away - They like a single total figure kind of invoice saying 'built wall - xxx£"

Any advice?

We had one of those invoices. For £8000.

A polite request for an itemised invoice elicited the response (word for word)  "I don't see why I should", even though the builder had agreed to provide a breakdown under the headings provided by the Quantity Surveyor.

The invoice remains unpaid two years later. No follow up,  no Final Demand, no Letter Before Action.

How big is the wall? 

We haven't paid yet - At the moment we can't carry on as we need the itemizations to apply for planning permission. Or we, at least, need guidance on how to make up some.

A stud wall is what we need. Timber or metal frame with 2.50meter height and 5,70m length. The ceiling is plasterboard and the floors are a wooden piece we could screw onto.

We need to open an exiting wall to create a new door - which will have direct access to the main door (as to comply with fire regulations)

The pictures below show where the new wall and door are to be placed

new door.jpg

new wall.jpg

On 19/09/2019 at 12:48, cdtsilva said:

Me and my partner are trying to create an additional division in an open plan area of our house. The property is shared ownership, so even though we don't need planning permission, the lease company wants to see it, so they are sure the work is carried out in accordance with regulations.

Does the lease company really want both Planning Permission and Building Control Approval?  I can understand them wanting the latter.

On 21/09/2019 at 21:46, Thedreamer said:

Planning permission, building regulations, architects, this all seems very over the top.

Just to build a non load bearing stud wall. 

I would have just built it and not got the others involved, what is the worst that would have happened?

We're looking into that. But whenever or not we have permission we need to know exactly what to do as to avoid any surprises down the line when selling or even for home insurance purposes.

How do I prove building regulations were adhered to? As far as I know I can't because there is no detailed invoice from the builders. But if I were to do it myself or submit an application, who would provide these guidelines? Is it enough to just itemize all items purchased to ensure electrics, plasterboard, ventilation and sound insulation all comply? Do I need an architect to draw plans and specify the materials?

I think the renting company (We own half and rent the other half) just wants to make sure all this is taken into consideration before approving any modifications and at least for insurance purposes, I would like too, for peace of mind.

Does someone check the work to make sure it complies to the regulations? If not how do I prove it does?

On 21/09/2019 at 21:01, Temp said:

Does the lease company really want both Planning Permission and Building Control Approval?  I can understand them wanting the latter.

That is a good question. I suppose the latter would suffice. But how do I apply without an itemized list of works and materials employed? Or shall I just create something (drawings, examples or materials, etc.) and submit?

If you need Building Control Approval there are two methods to get it...

1) Full Plans Application: You or someone like an Architectural Technician or Plan Drawer makes drawings and you submit them with an application and fee. Then wait for the plans to be approved before starting work.

2) Building Notice: You notify the BCO that you are starting work and pay a fee. Then you just start work.

In both cases you should ask the BCO at what stage(s) does he want to make inspections and call him to request an inspection when you reach that stage. There is also a final inspection after which if all is well you get a certificate you can give to a future buyer or lender etc.

The difference is risk. If you go option 2 the BCO might turn up for the first inspection and spot something wrong. You might have to make major changes or demolish work done and start over. That said most builders are familiar with the regs and would probably do this on a Building Notice. If you were going to DIY the work you might consider a Full Plans Application.

I would recommend getting an electrician who can certify his own work to Part P of the building regs to do any wiring. He should provide paperwork for the Building Control Officer. 

22 hours ago, Temp said:

If you need Building Control Approval there are two methods to get it...

1) Full Plans Application: You or someone like an Architectural Technician or Plan Drawer makes drawings and you submit them with an application and fee. Then wait for the plans to be approved before starting work.

Thanks for this, very helpful! We've been to the planning portal website and happy to go with the full application.

There is however a question regarding the drawings - Is it enough to submit a floor plan with dimensions and photos of the exiting room with notes attached (could be in cad or hand made drawing) or would something like a full cad 3D drawing be required? Also what needs to be included? We have to knock part of an exiting stud wall down to insert a new door and I don't know if there are any electrical cables there that will need relocating until the woks starts.

We had an architect visiting when we started the project that quoted about £600 to do full cad plans with a couple different configuration options, but seems a bit to steep, perhaps. Any recommendations on how to go from here would be really useful.

Hard to know what the BCO would accept as a minimum for a full plans application. Normally there is enough detail to show how walls are constructed. Cross sections through key areas such as where the new wall will meet the window and the new door. Won't need details of the electrics where the door is going.