Plywood under flooring

Thedreamer

Hello,

I've made up my mind on the Vinyl flooring and underlay, but does anybody know whether I can put this onto the 22mm TG chipboard already installed or whether I should put a layer of plywood (4.4m, 5m or 9m?) down on top?

Edited by Thedreamer

Do you have a link for the chosen products? 

If there’s an underlay, that would suggest you’d be ok to lay directly into the P5 / Egger deck but if it’s taken any rain on and you have ‘dog ears’ at the corners of the deck boards you may still benefit from a blast ( only where necessary) with the belt sander before laying.

13 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Do you have a link for the chosen products? 

If there’s an underlay, that would suggest you’d be ok to lay directly into the P5 / Egger deck but if it’s taken any rain on and you have ‘dog ears’ at the corners of the deck boards you may still benefit from a blast ( only where necessary) with the belt sander before laying.

Hi Nick, thanks for the reply.

The chipboard went in once we were wind and water tight so hasn't ever got wet.

This is the style of product that I'm interested in getting.

https://www.howdens.com/joinery/floors/flooring/vinyl-flooring/quick-step-livyn-single-plank-light-grey-oak-luxury-vinyl-flooring-2105m-pack-sdh3681

I plan to use this the Howden Vinyl underlay.

https://www.howdens.com/joinery/floors/underlay-and-damp-proofing/underlay/howdens-click-vinyl-15mm-luxury-tile-extruded-polystyrene-foam-underlay-10sqm-obj-sku-family-sdh0926

Howdens also suggest a barrier paper as well, but I wonder if this is overkill, given that the chipboard is moisture resistant and the underlay is described as being a moisture barrier.

Looks fine to me. And yes, I wouldn't bother with the barrier paper tbh, unless it is required for the manufacturers warranty.

I'd say you're good to go laying that directly onto the deck you have, eg no additional plywood.

FYI, plywood and smoothing compound ( thin / fine grade self levelling compound ) usually only get used with Amtico / Karndean types of flooring, which will show deck imperfections through the surface if not laid on a totally perfect deck ;)  Not a consideration or concern with the type of flooring you've gone for. ?.   

Just now, Nickfromwales said:

Looks fine to me. And yes, I wouldn't bother with the barrier paper tbh, unless it is required for the manufacturers warranty.

I'd say you're good to go laying that directly onto the deck you have, eg no additional plywood.

FYI, plywood and smoothing compound ( thin / fine grade self levelling compound ) usually only get used with Amtico / Karndean types of flooring, which will show deck imperfections through the surface if not laid on a totally perfect deck ;)  Not a consideration or concern with the type of flooring you've gone for. ?.   

Thanks Nick much appreciated. Can't believe I'm thinking about floors thought the day would never come.

We have hard floors throughout house (Karndean in basement, resin on GF, engineered wood upstairs, tiles in bathrooms).

Amazing how quickly dustballs and pet hair accumulate  - saw a load of tree pollen over the living room floor earlier in week when the sliders were open.

Means hoover is out quite a few times a week and I use a steam mop once a week.

We also have a shoes off at the door policy (originally to prevent floor damage while exterior was still unmade, now just for hygiene).

I remember when we used to get our short pile wool carpets professionally cleaned in the old house once a year - water was jet black with dirt - ugh..