Electric hot water cylinder outside of the House

Patrick

I m having a bit of an issue with my hot water in my current house. Old former Council semi, with the old vented hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard upstairs still in place. After changing the bathroom, there is now even less pressure on the hot water than ever before and it's taking hours to fill a bathtub. I don't want to go down the route of shower pumps (done that the last few years, one of the reasons for changing the bathroom, long story).

Also, there is no Gas at the property. Its in the area but this house never been connected to it. All heating is via Night storage(electric).

So I'm only looking to replace the old vented electric water tank with a new, unvented one.

The question is, could I possibly put the new unvented hot water tank and the electric boiler for it into an outside lean-to in front of the kitchen. There is no space in the kitchen  for something that big, the bedroom airing cupboard where the current water tank is, will struggle as well space wise and ideally I want it out of there.

My idea was to build a insulated extension of approx. 2-3sqm. Just in front of the kitchen (to the back garden) where all the main pipework is running through. Than just drill through the wall and connect the new boiler to the old water system. Boiler would be installed by plumber with a bit more clue than me about this, but question is more what are the issues with this plan. Building regulations wise.

Practically it has a lot of advantages to me, but maybe there are better ideas.

Edited by Patrick
Spelling

Just now, Patrick said:

You mean to just move the vented tank into the loft (or alternatively put a new vented tank into the loft). Not bad.

No, the unvented tank.

With a vented system it's not the tank location that matters but the header tank. You could improve it a bit by putting the header tank higher in the loft.  

But if fitting a new unvented tank and it won't fit the airing cupboard, put it in the loft.

• Thanks 1