Ferdinand

You've inspired me. We're going to have a couple metres of brick paving off the road on our driveway... Mostly using reclaimed red brick but now I'm going to stick some black bricks in for the house name and number.

Note: my legs will not look as good as hers when I take my photo.

Edited by Conor

I got our house number and doorbell from a German company called Metzler. They work well if you have a very modern look, they are generally stainless steel or RAL 7016.

They sell off Amazon or their own website.

Not cheap but great quality. I hate going to a nice house and seeing a little plastic doorbell.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/node/11221997031?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Metzler-Trade&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_11221997031

IMG_6944.thumb.JPG.8f52fdb68a24dcb2a8cfa69776323b67.JPG

IMG_7093.JPG

Edited by AliG

Something with house numbers/names that people don't think about is that fire and ambulance services need to be able to read them easily, probably at night in foul weather. They may not be going to you house but knowing quickly to look elsewhere could save some valuable time for somebody else. Putting the number in paving might not be helpful if it's dark and wet or, worse, has snowed.

Being a self employed tradesman so visiting lots of peoples houses daily, it staggers me how many have poor or no house numbering.  Very often if looking e.g for number 34, I eventually find No 40 has a number displayed, and I then have to count back along the row to find 34.

I liked the Australian rural house numbering.  My BIL lives at 999 Emery's Bridge Road.  That means his house is 9.99 Km from the start of the road.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

Something with house numbers/names that people don't think about is that fire and ambulance services need to be able to read them easily, probably at night in foul weather. They may not be going to you house but knowing quickly to look elsewhere could save some valuable time for somebody else. Putting the number in paving might not be helpful if it's dark and wet or, worse, has snowed.

and the Asda delivery driver!!

Peter is always commenting on trying to find the right house in the middle of the New forest, on a dark winter’s evening. 

Instructions such as “we are the house next the the one with the blue door” don’t help much.

Edited by Sue B

35 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

I would hold put it everywhere else as well.

But a nice design touch, and an excuse to give old fashioned looks to people who ask whilst standing on it.

Could get some interesting house names by using What 3 Words. This maps the entire world using 40,000 words - a combination of 3 of the 40,000 represents a 3x3m square.

Some emergency services (to pick up on an earlier point made) are already using this when locating emergencies

I figure this is actually going to be useful for delivery drivers to our plot when we start work as the post code covers such a huge area.

30 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

Could get some interesting house names by using What 3 Words. This maps the entire world using 40,000 words - a combination of 3 of the 40,000 represents a 3x3m square.

Some emergency services (to pick up on an earlier point made) are already using this when locating emergencies

I figure this is actually going to be useful for delivery drivers to our plot when we start work as the post code covers such a huge area.

Downloaded W3W some weeks ago and it proved useful while on holiday when meeting up with friends in unfamiliar places.

Where are you? 

We're at 'saying.ecologic.rewriting'

Oak sign I ordered about 10 days ago arrived today. Got it from this ebay seller...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solid-Oak-Personalised-Wood-Sign-Carved-House-Name-Gate-sign-great-as-present/181677893530?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=480633585620&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Quite a good price compared to one I got 12 years back. The letters are V cut and very crisply painted. I asked for it unvarnished so I can use Osmo UV protection oil on it.

• 2 weeks later...