Full face masks / respirators

Conor

I've ceilings to pull down in the entire house, more than 100m² of plastered lath ceilings with 4" of lose EPS insulation and 100 years of dust and debris.

Really struggled today using a half mask and goggles. Just didn't keep the dust out at all.

Any recommendations for full face system? I've seen ones for £30 on eBay and £900 on trade sites... This is my default choice as I can pick it up tomorrow:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/draeger-x-plore-5500-full-face-mask-no-filter-mask-only/65898

I have a genuine 3M one and an (accidentally bought) Chinese knock-off.  Do not be tempted to buy the cheaper knock-off masks, as they may be made of a really nasty, smelly, rubber-like material.  The 3M one is fine, well-made, easy to get different cartridges for different classes of protection, and works OK with my glasses.  The only snag, which I think applies to many decent masks, is that they get a bit sweaty inside,  when worn for an hour or two.  This can end up leaving a sort of nasty dust slurry around the places where the mask seats on your face.

Just now, Onoff said:

What about beards?

Just gets a bit soggy...

When I was flying in fast jets, I used to have to cover my beard with vaseline, in order to get the oxygen mask to seal (there's a mask pressure test as a part of pre-flight checks).  It was a real bugger trying to wash the vaseline out of my beard afterwards.

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

What about beards?

No beard and no glasses here. I've worn FBAs for confined spaces work, so acutely aware of the sweaty face issues. In the training they ask you to turn up freshly shaved to get a better seal. 

37 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Just gets a bit soggy...

When I was flying in fast jets, I used to have to cover my beard with vaseline, in order to get the oxygen mask to seal (there's a mask pressure test as a part of pre-flight checks).  It was a real bugger trying to wash the vaseline out of my beard afterwards.

You must be really commited to your beard.

• Haha 1