Shipping container??

3 minutes ago, gc100 said:

I needed to buy a shipping container to securely store tools, and materials on my site. Is it possible to reclaim the VAT on this does anyone know?

No, it’s not part of the build and not part of your approved plans. Similarly you can’t claim for sheds etc. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gc100 said:

Hi,

I needed to buy a shipping container to securely store tools, and materials on my site. Is it possible to reclaim the VAT on this does anyone know?

thanks

Look for a second(third/forth) hand container from private unregistered individual? At some point a previous owners might have taken the hit on the VAT and you could negotiate a favourable price?

Edited by Thedreamer

51 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

Look for a second(third/forth) hand container from private unregistered individual? At some point a previous owners might have taken the hit on the VAT and you could negotiate a favourable price?

Ive already brought it thanks

2 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I wouldn’t consider a shipping container a secure place for tools, obviously this is site dependent, but having seen them broken into many times I would only consider them good for keeping out your average chancer. 

Same here.  Our ground works chap had a 10ft container he used on site for storage, but it was heavily modified, with loads of welded on steel reinforcement everywhere.  It still bore the scars where people had tried to break into it.

3 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

I wouldn’t consider a shipping container a secure place for tools, obviously this is site dependent, but having seen them broken into many times I would only consider them good for keeping out your average chancer. 

Can you hare how they are broken into please?

3 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

I am surprised, my container is made of very thick steel, doors have a couple of top to bottom security bars and very solid lock placement for three padlocks. Any building usually has windows and doors less secure than that. Perhaps they attract “tea leaves” because of the value of site tools and sites are rarely lived on.?

5 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Occupied home with attached garage. Tbf you make a good point it's the easiest most secure thing to move around site to site just a bit of a beacon to the thieves to break into

I had an attached garage to a previous home with what I thought was adequate security (bars at window and good padlocks) but that was broken into whilst I was asleep and tools stolen (covered by good insurance tho) .

TBH nothing is secure against professional thieves, it’s the chancers you need to keep out, if you put a container on your site it is like a magnet for thieves, only leave stuff in it you can afford to lose. 

I have seen one opened up like a sardine tin with no power tools used, just two pairs of adjustable spanner’s used like a can opener. 

I suppose the ideal is a shipping container where the door locks behind them and then you can introduce a couple of rotties. You've all got diggers,  just have the graves ready dug and the jet wash handy!

Edited by Onoff
  • Thanks 1