Overlapping Mesh

LA3222

The stell mesh has to be fully o erlapped by adjacent sheets at the corners, when laying the mesh is it better to do all the corners and then work in or start at one corner and work outwards from there?

May be a daft question but the sheets are 70kgs for the A393, I would hate to start, realise I should have started differently and redo it all.

Or is it a case of it doesn't matter so long as the correct overlaps are adhered to?

Thanks

Doesn't matter.

I would start on one side and just work across giving each sheet the correct overlap, cut to suit and tie together.

You may find that laying the sheets in a particular orientation means less cuts but that's just to make things easier.

Edited by RichS
Typo

+1 to the above.  Our 100mm thick structural slab has a single layer of A142.  The only place we have thicker rebar is in the 200mm deep ring beam around the edge, but that's just bars, not fabric.

We just have overlaps where sheets join, saves cutting.  Just wire the overlaps tight together to keep them in place tidily.

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

A393 seems a bit.... big ..!! Normal is A142 which is 6mm bar, that is 10mm bar so will need some kit to cut it. 

Good point there Peter, I had overlooked that particular issue.  A393 is specc'd for the thickened parts, A252 throughout the rest of it.  Need to work out how to cut it - likely an angle grinder which will be time consuming!

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

They do a smaller merchant size at 2.0m x 3.6m which may work better for cutting up.

It occurred to me that I may be able to get the supplier to chop it up for me - not sure if they will.

The 4.8x2.4 sheet is useful as I need 0.6 wide lengths in the bottom of the thickened perimeter strip so that's the 2.4 sheet cut into 4 strips which would save a lot of work.  Most of the other bits will be full sheets.

3 hours ago, LA3222 said:

Good point there Peter, I had overlooked that particular issue.  A393 is specc'd for the thickened parts, A252 throughout the rest of it.  Need to work out how to cut it - likely an angle grinder which will be time consuming!

Nope, it won’t be time consuming at all if you use the proper kit, 9inch grinder will get through it in seconds, or a petrol cut off saw will do it even quicker 

• 1 year later...

Ok use the metal wire at 2 points on the overlap and run down the length of the mesh, imagine every 200mm would be adequate 

so 2 rows of tie wire on the overlap, no harm in staggering the ties.

if you need more add more.