Velux vent/latch engagement problems

Ed Davies

When you unpack a new Velux window for installation one of the first steps is to engage the vent bar (the handle at the top you operate the top latch and open it with when centre-pivoting) on to the latch mechanism. I've not had a 100% success rate with this.

The first window I installed I couldn't get the bar to click on to the latch at all. I finished up pressing too hard and broke the plastic bit on the tongue for the latch. Piccies below. For the subsequent 5 windows it all went fine from this point of view. For the seventh window it again wouldn't engage. I resisted the temptation to push harder.

On reflection, I suspect that the problem is that the plastic part which is screwed on to the vent bar is screwed on too tight so is pressed into the rubbery material there enough that the other plastic part on the end of the latch mechanism's arm doesn't have room engage under its top edge. I'll have to have a closer look to see if that's the problem.

In the mean time, anybody else had this problem and have any hints?

velux-clip-medium.jpg

img_1690-medium.jpg

Fitted one last week and four a few months ago without any problems. Are the windows square and flat once fitted (same gap / space around the openings)

My latches look totally different to yours. 

Have you tried calling Velux technical? they were very good when my builder had an issue.

Edited by wozza

13 minutes ago, wozza said:

Are the windows square and flat once fitted (same gap / space around the openings)

This is right at the beginning of the installation process, when you've just opened the packaging and stood the frame and sash up ready to separate the two. Way before it goes in the opening.

14 minutes ago, wozza said:

Have you tried calling Velux technical? they were very good when my builder had an issue.

That's a good idea, thanks. Worth a try if they're not just standard call-centre script readers.

I had the same problem on one of mine (didn't snap, but didn't attach and wouldn't attach). The others had all been fine. 

Velux tech were helpful (by email) and said it was because the frame was out of square (they're not squared at the factory). In my case that was because we'd skipped the "remove the sash on the ground and fit it after the frame" step for that window as it was giant, heavy, and going on a flat roof kerb where the handling felt easier and safer to do it as a whole unit. Turns out that's a compulsory step before you square off the frame.

When I squared it up it was fine, potentially yours has moved a bit in the box and is similarly a bit out of alignment? There is a bit of play in them, it turns out.

1 hour ago, andyscotland said:

Velux tech were helpful (by email) and said it was because the frame was out of square (they're not squared at the factory).

When I squared it up it was fine, potentially yours has moved a bit in the box and is similarly a bit out of alignment? There is a bit of play in them, it turns out.

Yes, once the sash is out the frame is pretty floppy so, even with the sash in, it could be out of alignment slightly if it's not resting on the floor evenly or something. Bit odd though as the frame is not directly involved in the connection between the vent bar and the latch mechanism. I've split the frame and sash now and put the frame in the roof so I'll put the sash in and make sure it's all square before I try again. If that doesn't work I'll call or email Velux.

39 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

Bit odd though as the frame is not directly involved in the connection between the vent bar and the latch mechanism.

To be honest that was my first thought when I got the response from them, had a moment of wanting to email back along the lines "well maybe I should have taken it out of the frame but so what, can't see how that affects the locking bar, surely that's just defective. How can it tell if it's on the ground or in the sky??".

But then I calmed down and tried what they said and it solved it (so luckily I didn't have to send a grovelling oh, ok then, email ?)

I wonder whether if it's out of square that puts pressure on the locking pins/latch mechanism which in turn pushes the bar slightly out of alignment one way or another so the clip on the vent can't catch it.

The instructions and annotated picture they sent gave the impression this was a fairly common issue.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, andyscotland said:

The instructions and annotated picture they sent gave the impression this was a fairly common issue.

Don't suppose you still have those instructions and picture? Any chance you could forward them if you happen to?

(Off to put the sash in today. Will see how I get on once it's in.)

@Ed Davies for some reason my email kept refusing to forward it with the images, seems to have worked pasting it here. 

The latter ones are just from the instructions so won't be new to you, it's the catch detail that made me think I wasn't the first.

---

Good Morning Andrew

Thank you for contacting VELUX.

We are sorry to hear you are having this issue with your new window.

The reason for the issue is the fact that  you installed the window as a complete unit. All of our windows have to separated when removed from the box as part of the fitting instruction. The vent bar handle should be engaged at this point to allow the separation. Our windows are not squared off at factory level and fitting it as a complete unit means that the sash may not be sitting squarely in the frame, this can cause other issues later where the window may not close properly. 

In order that you can get the other side of the vent bar engaged I have attached below the instruction on how to do this. 

1. Locate the one side of the headlock that is not engaged.
  2. Lift the headlock arm upwards away from the console clip, and pull forwards. This may require a bit of force, as you are moving the headlock mechanism manually.
  3. Once the headlock arm is pulled forward, close the ventilation bar fully.
  4. Open the ventilation bar, and the window will open as normal.

[Img1]

We would strongly recommend that you follow the fitting instructions for squaring the sash and the frame. Please see snap shot below form the fitting instructions.

[Image 2-4]

Please do not hesitate to contact us for further assistance.

image.png

1568102407902_image.png

1568102414499_image.png

1568102420578_image.png

Edited by andyscotland
Pics didn't work

@andyscotland, thanks for that but the image links need you to be logged into Gmail, presumably as you. I'll email Velux.

I'll admit those instructions confuse me. If the “headlock bar” and “console clip” are what I think they are then they seem to be saying to engage this latch with the window unlocked rather than locked as you normally do.

Our roofer also fitted all the velux as a complete unit and I found it hard to engage a few of the vent bars we had one clip snap on an integra, but my general window fitter fixed it with some proprietary glue he carries around!

Now I can see what the reason was... 

@Ed Davies apologies, I spotted that after I'd posted, have uploaded them as attachments on my post now.

Yes, in my case the window was open (we'd opened the bar, which had unlocked one side but not the other, and then not managed to close it again so I had manually pulled the disconnected headlock bar to get the stuck catch open - I'd hoped once I'd done that I'd be able to get the clip to reconnect). It may be your fix is different as you're at a different stage to where we got stuck...

Laid the sash flat on the floor (on some EPS to protect the hinges) and fiddled with the latch mechanism for a few seconds and it clicked together perfectly. I think the “headlock bar” was in the intermediate position (vent open but latch latched) when it worked. Sash is now installed, covers put on the outside but too windy to put its bib on today.

I don't know why it didn't go before but suspect it might have been to do with it resting on floor unevenly. Thanks for the advice folks, very helpful to know that the latch shouldn't necessarily have been fully latched and also that it's not all just me.

• Like 1

This must be a new thing.  It is a looooong time since I installed a genuine Velux and it didn't have this "feature".

But my new windows arrived today and I unpacked one, and it does indeed have this feature.  So I engaged it gently and all was well.

My take on this, is the bean counters have been on the case, and this cheap and nasty latch is just a mechanism to allow the operating handle to be stowed out of the way for transit, presumably to make it fit into a smaller box.  Once you have engaged it upon unpacking, that should be the end of the matter.