Specs for flat roof with metal cladding

Oldsteel

My architect has specified a seamed metal cladding for two flat roofs on our house. He advises me the choice is VMZinc which is the expensive option where it is seamed on-site, or the other option is Euroclad, a pre-seamed product (do they call this standing seam?) which comes in a sheet. I also note that Colourcoat Urban is a similar option to Euroclad and installers have quoted other types, Seamline PLX and Greencoat PLX. As we are still at the drawing stages its an open book and I need to make a decision.  Will it still look like a flat roof with a 1:10 fall? What is the ideal construction of the roof - I have joists under and there will be rooflights, and an integral gutter.

• 1 month later...
On 09/09/2019 at 17:00, Oldsteel said:

My architect has specified a seamed metal cladding for two flat roofs on our house. He advises me the choice is VMZinc which is the expensive option where it is seamed on-site, or the other option is Euroclad, a pre-seamed product (do they call this standing seam?) which comes in a sheet. I also note that Colourcoat Urban is a similar option to Euroclad and installers have quoted other types, Seamline PLX and Greencoat PLX. As we are still at the drawing stages its an open book and I need to make a decision.  Will it still look like a flat roof with a 1:10 fall? What is the ideal construction of the roof - I have joists under and there will be rooflights, and an integral gutter.

Are you any further on with your roof?

Its something I need to be thinking of too

On 29/10/2019 at 12:00, ianfish said:

Are you any further on with your roof?

Its something I need to be thinking of too

I got a quote for half the original quote which was pretty much the same (£500 difference)  for Greencoat plx or VMZinc, so I will be going with that. As usual the more quotes you ask for the better, I just took the VMZinc list of installers - which they will send you on request - and contacted all those who were local to me.  Most installers will do zinc, copper or steel so you can ask them for comparative quotes. Even if you know nothing about the task in hand - if the quote looks ridiculous it probably is and its worth getting some more! They seemed to vary in recommending the fall, my SE specc'ed 1:80 but they all said that was too level, one said 1:5 which seemed too steep, seems 1:20 is the consensus for a 'flat' roof.

• 11 months later...
On 04/11/2019 at 18:31, Oldsteel said:

I got a quote for half the original quote which was pretty much the same (£500 difference)  for Greencoat plx or VMZinc, so I will be going with that. As usual the more quotes you ask for the better, I just took the VMZinc list of installers - which they will send you on request - and contacted all those who were local to me.  Most installers will do zinc, copper or steel so you can ask them for comparative quotes. Even if you know nothing about the task in hand - if the quote looks ridiculous it probably is and its worth getting some more! They seemed to vary in recommending the fall, my SE specc'ed 1:80 but they all said that was too level, one said 1:5 which seemed too steep, seems 1:20 is the consensus for a 'flat' roof.

There is NO British standard on min roof fall but consensus today recommends min 5 degrees slope. 25mm high standing Seam roofs are the most common 

Metals vary widely on price and warranties are vague, aesthetics warranties may not be offered on Natural metals due to adverse weathering possibilities 

Easy install systems such as Snaplock are being favoured though site folded seams continue to grow.