Registration of a replacement roof window?

vivienz

I'm snagging our old house to get it on the market and one of the jobs is to replace a roof window in the loft conversion. The old one was fitted as part of the conversion but poorly done and it has collapsed/rotted/died and so must be replaced.

A guy has just been around for a look to quote and has said that the new window must be registered with FENSA or some other trade body to indicate that it was installed by a registered installer. Of course, this comes at a price, £45 in this case. When I objected, the guy said it was either that or have it signed off by a buildings inspector as it was a building regs requirement for replacement windows in existing buildings to be registered or approved.

Is this the case or do I get a whiff of something bovine and smelly?

Yes. Replacement windows are "notifiable" as is some other building work that effects the insulation properties of the building.

You can DIY the window and make a building control application yourself (fee payable) but a valid option is to use a member of a "competent person" scheme of which Fensa is one example. They will ensure the work meets the regs and notify the Building Control Office at the council (also for a fee but some may hide the fee in the bill).

Something similar applies to some but not all electrical work.

Edited by Temp

I think that's normal. A friend had new windows put in in her flat in London, at somewhat mates rates, by a builder who was another member of our gliding club. When she went to sell the flat the purchaser's solicitor wanted a copy of the FENSA certificate or whatever. As said builder wasn't a FENSA member or anything she had to get building control in to inspect. All was well with the actual installation as far as BC was concerned and the sale went through but it did cause a bit of a falling out between the individuals concerned.

Edited by Ed Davies