5 Years

10 hours ago, Barney12 said:

A number of locals remain unimpressed by a modern build on the moor. The most insulting being “The Travelodge on the moor”

Well that's just jealousy speaking. That is an amazing looking property, well done and good luck with the rest of the landscaping.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

Not to rub it in but care to share the original design?

Stunning as it is it's pretty striking, visually. Amazed that where it is they didn't insist on something more muted. Weird as the outbuildings had to be black didn't they?

They are somewhere, I'll have to dig them out at some point but the original design was dug into the steep hill to give the illusion of a bungalow but it was actually the park that wanted "bold" as a nod to the vernacular despite the fact that all my near neighbors are 50-60-70's dormer bungalows. Go figure!

It was the glazing that the park had the most issues with, the vernacular is for small inset windows to protect you from the wild weather. The inset middle section was a nod to this detail and all windows recessed by at least 100mm was one of my planning conditions, thankfully easy with my design of timber frame plus cavity and block. 

They also made me reinstate the cat-slide (from two story to single story) roof to the rear which existed on the old house on the plot and again is a local vernacular. 

In summary; the design has various elements that "tick the box" for local design. This "box ticking" is the world of national park planning!! 

and yes, all timber must be stained 'dark brown or black'. Yet another planning condition. If they want me to paint my cedar dormers and brise soliel brown or black they're going to have to come and do it themselves :D 

2 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

Beautiful house! Just wait till the boredom sets in once you’re finished, you’ll end up doing it all again ?

Well I've still got the garden room/gym to build. That will keep me busy next spring/summer. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Barney12 said:

A number of locals remain unimpressed by a modern build on the moor. The most insulting being “The Travelodge on the moor” ??

Everyone's a critic but few will have the mettle to do what you've done.  It's a cracking looking house.
We've had our plot for nearly 4 years and still have not broken ground. When I see people finishing it gives me a boost so thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Looks brill. Where's garage at the back?

Yes, at the back along with "Cluckingham Palace" (for the chooks),  "Batmoral" (for the bats) and a "recycling center" (AKA ....how to get planning for a large shed!) :D 

2019-09-09_10-51-14.thumb.jpg.326eb64b4236405d5a16ad62afb1ad65.jpg2019-09-09_10-52-34.jpg.b0d03576aa283aad4e726ec71da2685c.jpg

Just now, newhome said:

The cat slide will go well with the catless cat flap! ?

I have one of those, but the ex-cat is still pushing up bamboo.

This is the best I have, but it is not really the correct roof. And the lady does not understand the resilience of the cat.

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting my previous thread as I have a new level of notoriety in the local area. If I didn't need reminding that building something contemporary on a National Park divides opinion I've now even been quoted in a entirely unrelated planning application objection :D 

2019-12-03_14-23-50.jpg.34cb7faec4a277405a4ca2ad041656e5.jpg