5 Years

So it’s almost 5 years since I bought my little corner of the national park and for the first time this evening after another weekend of slog I looked back at the house and thought.......shit......it’s actually beginning to look close to being finished. 

Then I remembered that tomorrow sees the delivery of another 120 tonnes of top soil (that’s over 500 tonnes now!) and the landscaping needs another month of graft. Oh and then there’s seeding and planting, the culvert needs building, driveway....OK just loads still to do ?

But for just a brief moment in the evening sun I could see the finish line in the distance. 

07BD6C54-7D30-414E-9CE0-1603887B1789.thumb.jpeg.8cb68f8fcafdf1a3ad1984b71e807359.jpeg3DF46341-0055-45F6-9DEF-1A3D7EF61B25.thumb.jpeg.2d04eb08f4fe4cb0d7cb9299a4dfd268.jpeg

• Like 16

It’s looking fantastic, I also had a slightly delusional moment this fine evening..... but definitely not a light at the end if the tunnel moment....... more a “ it’s not that bad..... I am getting there !” Then I realised it was just a moment of weakness and got on with planting the last 100 trees of the 600 I just purchased. I have spent as much time... ok more time on my garden than my buildings..... my plan it that they should both come together at the same time, so let’s say another three years. 

28 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Looks very  good tbh. And I am VERY critical with most houses/designs. Would be interesting to see some more, in case you haven't posted already. Will dig through your posts now. ??

Plenty of rambles but not many pictures over my few years on here. The design wasn’t quite what I originally envisaged but it was a work of significant compromise with the park planners. 

A number of locals remain unimpressed by a modern build on the moor. The most insulting being “The Travelodge on the moor” ??

31 minutes ago, Cpd said:

It’s looking fantastic, I also had a slightly delusional moment this fine evening..... but definitely not a light at the end if the tunnel moment....... more a “ it’s not that bad..... I am getting there !” Then I realised it was just a moment of weakness and got on with planting the last 100 trees of the 600 I just purchased. I have spent as much time... ok more time on my garden than my buildings..... my plan it that they should both come together at the same time, so let’s say another three years. 

I feel your pain! I massively underestimated the landscaping costs and I yet to buy as much as a pack of seeds! 

Thats a lot of trees. I only need 5 for my plating plan :) 

26 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Looking very crisp indeed.

Funny enough, we are just, only just, beginning to think we might just have the finish line in sight. Still a long way off, but actually in sight.

It was a nice but fleeting moment ?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

So it’s almost 5 years since I bought my little corner of the national park and for the first time this evening after another weekend of slog I looked back at the house and thought.......shit......it’s actually beginning to look close to being finished. 

Then I remembered that tomorrow sees the delivery of another 120 tonnes of top soil (that’s over 500 tonnes now!) and the landscaping needs another month of graft. Oh and then there’s seeding and planting, the culvert needs building, driveway....OK just loads still to do ?

But for just a brief moment in the evening sun I could see the finish line in the distance. 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69c07BD6C54-7D30-414E-9CE0-1603887B1789.thumb.jpeg.8cb68f8fcafdf1a3ad1984b71e807359.jpeg3DF46341-0055-45F6-9DEF-1A3D7EF61B25.thumb.jpeg.2d04eb08f4fe4cb0d7cb9299a4dfd268.jpeg

Stunning!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barney12 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69c07BD6C54-7D30-414E-9CE0-1603887B1789.thumb.jpeg.8cb68f8fcafdf1a3ad1984b71e807359.jpeg3DF46341-0055-45F6-9DEF-1A3D7EF61B25.thumb.jpeg.2d04eb08f4fe4cb0d7cb9299a4dfd268.jpeg

One superb looking build. 

48 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

One superb looking build. 

29 minutes ago, newhome said:

That looks amazing! Well done. 

5 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

Wow, a stunning looking property. Those moments you snatch should be rightly cherished and you should feel proud of what you have achieved. Great feeling isn't it? 

Thank you. It is a great feeling but it will be better still when I can sit on the patio with a G&T ?

32 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Like the way the line in the gable render (expansion joint?) appears to marry up with the roof of the dormer.

Its just a bell cast bead to break the section a little. It’s was the renderers idea and does work. 

Just now, Barney12 said:

Its just a bell cast bead to break the section a little. It’s was the renderers idea and does work. 

Does it line up with the dormer roof or is it the camera angle?

If it does, is it by luck or design? :)

9 hours ago, Barney12 said:

Plenty of rambles but not many pictures over my few years on here. The design wasn’t quite what I originally envisaged but it was a work of significant compromise with the park planners. 

A number of locals remain unimpressed by a modern build on the moor. The most insulting being “The Travelodge on the moor” ??

LOL. Travelodge for Bats.

Looks really great.

If it was In the Lake District that should be pink to fit the vernacular.

Edited by Ferdinand

8 hours ago, Barney12 said:

The design wasn’t quite what I originally envisaged

Not to rub it in but care to share the original design?

Stunning as it is it's pretty striking, visually. Amazed that where it is they didn't insist on something more muted. Weird as the outbuildings had to be black didn't they?

9 hours ago, Barney12 said:

[...]

A number of locals remain unimpressed by a modern build on the moor. The most insulting being “The Travelodge on the moor

[...]

Which is code for ' Wish I'd had the chance '  . An insult is always more revealing of  the person making it than insulting. 

You can take more from the clear demonstration that you have had the guts, grit and determination to see it through. It's a clear statement of success. Enjoy it every time you see it.

Ian